Why you can't keep your goldfish in a 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kidding about the other fish but I was serious about the Red cherry shrimp because somebody on here told me I could fit 3 easily in a 1.77g. I doubted it I was just makin sure. That image does look photoshopped you can't see his hands it just doesn't look right somehow.
if thirty pounds causes you strain WD it might be time to hit the gym. My boy is ~30 and I toss him around all day. ;)

Mark, I thought you were kidding. the only good thing to keep in a 1 gal is candy. I used to use one to breed pond snails for my yoyo. No fish would live well in that.

fake fake fake

that pic is very photoshopped.

I don't think so ...

Fancy goldfish can be huge ... The current world record holder Bruce is now 16" & prob weigh over 10 lb.

This is him at 14"
YouTube - World's BIGGEST Goldfish?

That pic is a koi, which is normally 5-10x bigger than a fancy goldfish. A garden variety koi is easily 10+ lb. A 30 lb koi is certainly believable.

Photoshopped or not , it still serves a greater purpose in that Goldfish should not be kept in a 10 gal. aquarium .

I also agree that it's not photoshopped. He's holding it close to his body, not at arms length to make the fish look bigger. 30lb isn't that much. WD, I've seen pictures of 5-10lb goldfish caught in the Chicagoland area.

Who cares if it was photoshopped or not? That is NOT the point of this thread. The point is don't keep goldfish if you don't have the right tank to house them.

One of my friends kept a goldfish in a 2 gallon hex for 8 years :( I'm surprised it even lived that long...

--Adeeb

I would say not photoshopped. It's easy for people to yell "fake" but if you have some experience in photoshop, you'd this is either real or extremely well done.
The ripples where the tail enters the water and how the reflection reacts would both be extremely hard to look that accurate.
The impression in the fish from where his right hand is would be difficult unless it was already there, which would be weird.

I would however guess they used a wide angle lens to "fisheye" it slightly so the fish does appear larger. I'm not going to be disappointed either way honestly, its either a beautiful catch, or an awesome piece of work. :p

Yes Jimbo, agreed. I posted waaaaay back september 12 ;) confirming that this photo was taken with a wide-angle lens. It is also not photoshopped (and I say that with almost 5 years experience using the full Adobe Creative Suite).

I also call pure and total BS. Just because you "read it on the interwebz" doesn't make it true. Photochopped for sure.

A fish that size would weigh more than just 30 pounds.

Non-edited pics or it didn't happen. :)

Something just looks fishy about that pic...no pun intended.

Next time I go down to his place I'll get some pics. He gave me some of his culls though, which alone are about 24" long.

I was kidding about the other fish but I was serious about the Red cherry shrimp because somebody on here told me I could fit 3 easily in a 1.77g. I doubted it I was just makin sure. That image does look photoshopped you can't see his hands it just doesn't look right somehow.

Yes you can keep way more than 3 rcs in 1.7g. There are TONS of nano shrimp tanks out there.

definitely a fake photo. A fish of that size, if it were real, would weigh much more than only 30lbs. Besides the fact that its just too brightly colored and perfect looking lol

But maybe they also want to be able keep their fish in a tank which is too small!!

"It's Photoshoped" is a good way to justify their own denial of fish's requirements?

the question i want to ask is, who are we trying to PLEASE here, the fish or the owner?

i know you guys have your "minimum" requirements but you also have to see it from a newbies point of view as well, we all didnt start as experts, you have to remember how it feels to start as a new owner and know how it feels being told by a employee that this fish can fit in this tank because of so and so, you cant expect everyone to KNOW everything about that fish

my little cousin thats 8 years old wants a goldfish for her birthday this weekend, im currently cycling her 15g tank... im taking her to the pet store tomorrow to pick out which goldfish she wants, as long as she is happy, im happy... i dont humanize animals at all because a wise man once told me ( my philosophy/psychology teacher... taught the same class ) "if a dog is mans best friend, than why do have a title for other people as best friend, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the that title"

I understand your logic maxima... but if having a common goldfish in a 1g bowl makes me happy, does it still make it right?

You have to remember that in the wild, most of these fish have millions of gallons that they can swim around in. What we, as aquarists, have to do is try provide enough room for the fish to be happy, while trying to please ourselves as well. People could probably make the argument that keeping any fish in an aquarium shy of 10,000 gallons is inhumane, and I could understand their point (not agree though). I'm just sayin...

at first it would prob make anyone happy, but with some knowledge of course it does not

you are right that fish in the wild have a unlimited amount of gallons to grow upon, but if we are to say that, than we are technically shunting all of our fish because we limit the amount of space we house them in right? i do agree with that logic because it is technically true

as aquarists i do believe that we "TRY" to replicate what it would be when they are in the wild, but will we ever accommodate to what they need, no... but we will try =]

People saying this pic is photoshopped are just proving they don't read threads :roll:

Or that they don't agree. :roll:

But maybe they also want to be able keep their fish in a tank which is too small!!

"It's Photoshoped" is a good way to justify their own denial of fish's requirements?

I have a 55 gal with 2 goldfish and more than enough filtration. I don't feel as if I'm justiying anything. I siply stated that I believe it's BS. It's an opinion. Just b/c there are some that don't agree those of us that do are stereotyped as ignorant fish haters? Nice.

Also, as others said, unless your fish are in a stream, lake, river, or ocean then you're denying your fishes "requirements". From what I can gather a $0.28 goldy from Wal*Mart would fair better in a kids 3g tank than with 48 others in a 5 gallon Wal*Mart display case.

I understand your logic maxima... but if having a common goldfish in a 1g bowl makes me happy, does it still make it right?
Are you a vegan? Do you eat any meat? Is it right that an animal is slaughtered so you can put cheese and ketchup on it and devour it? Why is a goldfish life worth more than a cow, chicken, etc?

The truth is they're animals. They have no soul. I don't WANT to see them die, hence my getting a 55g to upgrade from my 20g. I also didn't know at first that a 20g wasn't enough for 2 goldies. We live and learn but at the end of the day a fish is a fish.

as aquarists i do believe that we "TRY" to replicate what it would be when they are in the wild, but will we ever accommodate to what they need, no... but we will try =]
I don't. I love my OSU tank. I will be adding some driftwood and rocks in the future but I didn't catch my fish in the wild. I rescued them from the attrocity that is an overcrowded, un furnished aquarium. My fish don't know any different. They seem extremely happy with 55 gallons to play in now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom