Wierd question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember when I was younger my friends mom had a 30G octagon tank. She had a few tropical fish in it and a turtle... She said it was a softshell turtle. I am just wondering if there is one that is supposed to live in a FW tropical fish environment? There was no land for it to get out of the water and had a really small mouth.

Looked like this...

soft-shell-turtle.jpg

65759858.iM169ZC2.0smvaq3651.jpg

There are no fully aquatic turtles other than sea turtles. All others will need to be able to be fully emersed at points.

I kept one in a 180 gallon for several years with no place to haul out. Every other week or so I would pull him out to dry out and get some some filtered sun light. As turtles are heavy on the bio-load they will restrict how many fish you can keep depending on your filtration. My system had a DYI under gravel filter driven by two Fuval 403's. My bio-load was 1 Australian Arowana, 2 Green Severums, 2 6" kissing Gouramies and 5 3" to 6" Clown Loaches. Lighting a pair of 40 Aquarium lamps. I also kept a musk turtle in a 275 gallon years ago, under almost the same conditions. With the understanding that they will foul a small system very quickly it, can be done.

Not worth mentioning really but I have one of those turtles in the pic, he's great lol

Back
Top Bottom