Wild driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it safe to add drift wood you find outside in your tank I washed it with hot water and poured boiling water on it since it was too big to put in a pot

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on if its hard or soft wood. Anything with bark on it is soft wood and will cause problems in your tank. There is also the chance of bacteria or parasites in outdoor wood that even boiling wont remove. I think with wood, its best to buy it at the store vs the risk of outdoor wood. Better safe than sorry.

What if I dose it with bleach won't that kill all the bacteria

I've had wild driftwood take out a whole tank of guppies - that wasn't fun. I will only buy driftwood from stores now. But that's just my experience.

But doesn't driftwood from the store come from the same place lol outside

I live close to the water and have used driftwood that washes up before. I just washed it in hot water and let it soak in some hot water for a little while then weighted it down in my tank with a rock. Tannins turned the water dark for awhile. It has been in almost two months and the water has lightened up in color (still has a yellowish tint) and it has become waterlogged. My fish were not affected by it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feel like if you just wash it thoroughly it would be fine do you guys think.baking it in a oven.would.work I don't have any pots big enough for the driftwood

I have personally never tried to bake any but have heard of other people doing so. Do you know what type of wood it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No idea picked it up by the Chicago river

for driftwood

you need to think if you find it outside it could have oils, chemicals or bug sprays. anything like that can be on it. You never know. I bought mine from the store. Yes it comes from the same place but they pick and choose whats safe. check for soft spots and rotting wood which is no good. Just tear off the soft stuff.

After that boil it in a pot for about 3 hours. I boiled mine for 6. I had to boil 2 different sides lol.

It sounds like you are going to use it anyway, or at least are searching for someone to give you the green light. I know you REALLY want to use it, but I just cant suggest you do as I have heard horror stories of people using things from outside and it kills their tanks. Also, the Chicago river is dirty and has a lot of pollution and chemicals the wood most likely soaked up.

I don't think I would use anything from out of the Chicago river.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds like you are going to use it anyway, or at least are searching for someone to give you the green light. I know you REALLY want to use it, but I just cant suggest you do as I have heard horror stories of people using things from outside and it kills their tanks. Also, the Chicago river is dirty and has a lot of pollution and chemicals the wood most likely soaked up.

+1 Great advice and insight.

Back
Top Bottom