wild fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a tank with four Bluegills, a Pumpkinseed, and a Black Crappie in it for a few years.

There is actually a group in my area that goes out to catch native fish. There are some that are endangered so they aren't allowed to be taken. Check in your area to see if there are any groups like that so you can decide if it is something you really want to try.

I have used a cast net at my local pond and spill way.....i had netted baby bluegill,,perch,,catfish,,small mouth bass,,sun fish,,pumpkin seed,,..i had put them in a 125g tank..they were all about an inch long..i had them for 2 years and watched them grow,,it was an awsome experience..i even had a few friends who wanted a few and i gave them some,,within the 2 years the fish were almost 6 inches long...they were all great agressive eaters...i was catching bugs outside my house at nite under the porch lite and putting them in the tank..moths,crickets,beatles,slugs,worms,spiders..it was cool,,next spring i will catch some more !!!!

I have been collecting a lot of native fish, it's a lot of fun if you are in an area that has lots of different interesting species.

Just be sure to check your local regulations, I know that here the game fish are hook and line only, and some fish are protected, so do your research if you plan to go out and get them.

lol i did the same thing with my 9 bullheads but i gave them to the local aquarium. To this day i still have my pumpkin seed.when it comes to winter though i feed the pumpkin seed blood worms and crickets.

Back
Top Bottom