Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #11

With all due respect to everyone's opinion that has posted. I'd just like to point out that all domesticated pets, livestock were wild at one time. Things that make you say HUMMM....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
yeah.... but someone went through all the trouble to domesticat them . and that person sure isnt me

Old 09-28-2004, 10:18 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Mushroomfarie, you make a decent point, but come on...

For every fish you get from a fish store, 10 or more die in transit, and in the initial capture. Taking fish from the wild, choosing these over tropicals in a store, means that you might lose that fish, but it doesn't mean that many, many others have to die in the process.

You're right that most children kill the animals they adopt. However, this is usually due to ignorance, forgetfulness, inadequate accomodations and cleanliness and improper diet.

Of course, the best solution of all is to buy from responsible breeders. Nowadays, I buy almost all of my fish this way. My conscience is definitely eased, and my worry about tropical diseases is assuaged.

I'm not endorsing taking endangered species from the wild! Taking mollies (introduced into American waterways in the 20th century) and gars is of little consequence to the ecosystem, and certainly hurts it less than buying the same wild-caught fish from the LFS.

A little bit of downtoearthism.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to mushroomfarie Send a message via Yahoo to mushroomfarie
alright you are talking to the person who prides herself on knowing as much about every livig creature as possible. (in the exception of adult humans. Because adult humans do inhumane things like take animals out of the wild.) I NEVER MISTREATED ANY ANIMAL. Think about it. Would you want to be plucked up and put in a cage. I just think wild aimals should be left wild.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Sure. I agree. But that doesn't address the issue that you have wild-caught fish (plecos, cories) in your tanks. Doesn't this seem contradictory? Also, I could hardly fault a child for taking in animals and having them die because of natural ignorance (a marked feature of children). I'm not trying to accuse you of mistreating them!

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I'm a vegetarian, former Greenpeace member, liberal, animal lover. Just think through your argument a little more. Which is really the lesser of 2 evils when it comes to choosing where to get your fish??? Getting them from a petstore, or getting them from the wild?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to mushroomfarie Send a message via Yahoo to mushroomfarie
None of my fish are from the wild. They were breed and born in captivity. I happen to check these things at any place I purchase pet supplies. I am sorry I became upset over the implecation that I mistreated something. I just became upset because I do pride myself in the way I do and always have treated animals. I will never own an animal captured out of the wild unless it is a resque that can not be released in the wild. I have never seen any sucsess in domesticating a wild animal. Yes someone had to do it at one point to get the pets we know and love, but no one realises how many of those original pets died in the process.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Nicely put. I appreciate you not blowing up at my response--it might have sounded inflamatory.

I'm glad you have been able to get your fish from breeders. What kind of pleco do you have?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Oh, and more importantly...

Sorry to molotov256 for co-opting your topic with my argument. Do you have any follow-up questions?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #19

I am not honstly sure tiwaun plecostamus. I think. He is just a baby. Only about 3 inches. All I know is he is really pretty for a pleco. He's not just black. He also has lighter contrasts too.

Tags
wild, wild fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com