Wild MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have a good source for wild MTS in a local lake. I don't know the technicals on identifying so I am not sure. The question is, should I be able to take some, put them in a tank, treat for bugs, viruses and other nasties and make them safe?

The same question for anacharis, I think it is anacharis anyway. It grows in huge beds in the same lake. Can it be made safe?

A lake in Washington is gonna be MUCH colder than tropical water temps. I doubt the snails would survive long at 75F. You can't treat them with meds as most will kill inverts like snails and shrimp. a quarantine would be the only safe way.

Anacharis is native to Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, and northern Argentina. You may have some other kind of variant locally. However, like fish, most aquatic plants grow at specific temp ranges (this is why certain warm water plants are used for discus tanks...the warmer water doesn't kill them off).

Lastly, I would check your state laws regarding keeping native species captive in home aquariums, even though I doubt either would last long at tropical temps.

Makes sense to me, I will still try but at least I know it shouldn't be anything I do if they don't grow well or at all. It is interesting to find out there are tropical and northern species. I also didn't know that snails were that temperature intolerant.

Have to learn something every day, sooner or later I will know enough to get by!

Back
Top Bottom