wild sailfin mollies, but the sail ain't there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally found a tidal creek near my home in the lowcountry of SC, that is full of wild sailfin mollies (Poecilia latipinna). I came home with about 20 of them, and the males that I had are about 1.5 inches long, but have little female-looking dorsals. Have they not had time to develop, or do they sometimes do this in the wild? I know that the huge dorsal is NOT a mutation, it is their natural form (in males only).

I thought it was a matter of selective breeding (i.e. human intervention), of course I never really looked into it, just assumed. Maybe they just aren't sailfins.

Most likely just aren't sailfins, you have pretty much every variety of molly down there in those tidal areas so there probably ARE sailfins in there.

Actually, cdawson, the only molly that is supposed to be around here is P. latipinna. The other mollies are Mexican and Central American. I can't tell by looking at the ones I collected that there is any degree of hybridization, they have a perfect P. latipinna coloring, but the males just have little dorsals. I suppose other molly varieties could have been introduced, but our winter water temp hits 50 or less for several months, I doubt any molly other than latipinna could handle that.

newaridiar--- Sailfins do develop (or at least do elsewhere than my creek!) the big male dorsals. In fact, they get bigger dorsals in the wild than in tank-bred specimens. You should see, in person, a full-grown natural male sailfin, quite a showoff! Sometimes you even run across a black-marbled molly in the wild. I just don't know if the ones I collected were too young, or if the swift creek flow is the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom