wild tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all i am looking at setting up a tank for wild caught trout or bass so what would be the tank requirements and how many could i keep.

thanks in advance

Depends on how big your tank is, I have a 29g and all I put in there is one hand sized bream, the bass and trout are longer and need a wider tank just to be able to swim and turn, if yours is less than a 55g I say skip the bass or trout

both those fish can get BIG. like oscar size,sometimes bigger for the bass. and both are predators.lots of minnows

Depends on how big your tank is, I have a 29g and all I put in there is one hand sized bream, the bass and trout are longer and need a wider tank just to be able to swim and turn, if yours is less than a 55g I say skip the bass or trout
i would say more like 75 minimum for 1 bass,not entirely sure on the trout

that is what i was thinking the other day i caught a rainbow trout that was 25 inches and close to 5 pounds but what is a bream i was hoping to pick up like a 125g this idea is a couple years down the road too what about a couple of brookies i think they don't get to big like six seven inches

I wouldn't go any lower than 100+ for one bass, the bigger the better! If you want to keep multiples be sure to add fish that are about the same size as the existing fish. I have a WC green sunfish (bream) and it doesn't eat exclusively live food. It just depends on the fish. I also had a bass at one point that loved flake food! You just have to experiment. WC fish all have very different temperaments and I've found that they can't really be generalized like domesticated fish can. It also depends on what age they're caught at. My current WC fish was caught at minnow size, and now acts essentially like any other aquarium fish. :> Good luck! Wild tanks are always fun!

Youll need some major filtration, and probably an area with a really strong current for trout

actually my dad said like the get up to 11 inches so were are back up to 75 for 2 huh

I wouldn't go any lower than 100+ for one bass, the bigger the better! If you want to keep multiples be sure to add fish that are about the same size as the existing fish. I have a WC green sunfish (bream) and it doesn't eat exclusively live food. It just depends on the fish. I also had a bass at one point that loved flake food! You just have to experiment. WC fish all have very different temperaments and I've found that they can't really be generalized like domesticated fish can. It also depends on what age they're caught at. My current WC fish was caught at minnow size, and now acts essentially like any other aquarium fish. :> Good luck! Wild tanks are always fun!
ya im 14 but it has always been a dream ever since i have caught one my dad would love to also the man cace might be getting a 250 soon haha probly not

I would not recommend keeping any type of salmonoid is a home aquarium, they are very sensitive to environmental changes. You also need to ensure that wild collection of fish for using in aquariums is legal in your state. A rainbow trout can actually grow quite large and would need a very large tank/ pond with pristine water conditions and allot of water flow. If you are just catching them out of a lake there is a chance it could be a triploid which a genetically altered trout that grows fast and large.

brookies live in streams and they are not rainbows as far as i know. im positve its legal because a bass proshop has a tank with bass and trout. they have a place wear you can get a lisence to buy them and put them in a tank or pond our lakes freeze so the fish have to be hardy and i wouldnt put fish in ther without getting the water just right and the habitat just right to make the fish happy and seem like they havent left the habitat.

T-man02 said:
brookies live in streams and they are not rainbows as far as i know. im positve its legal because a bass proshop has a tank with bass and trout. they have a place wear you can get a lisence to buy them and put them in a tank or pond our lakes freeze so the fish have to be hardy and i wouldnt put fish in ther without getting the water just right and the habitat just right to make the fish happy and seem like they havent left the habitat.

Correct brookies aren't rainbows but they are still all salmonoids. The lake freezing over has nothing to do with with them being "hardy" it's just a part of nature ,They are still fairly delicate fish when it comes to water quality. Bass pro shops could have a special license/ permit that is not available to the general public. Buying trout from a hatchery is allot different that going out and collecting fish. Even a hatchery fish once stocked into a lake or river then comes under wild collection, which requires a permit or license. I'll say it once and I'll say it again I do not recommend salmonoids in home aquariums, large well maintained pond would be fine. If you insist on keeping a game fish in an aquarium I would go with a bass/ sunfish in a 180 gallon or larger.

the tank was just an idea i would be alright with a pond sorry i was a bit snappy thank you for the advice the license is for public if you pass a test.
thank you though

Honestly, I would just say no. I know it's not what you want to hear but Even brook trout, the state record is almost 8 lbs, which is subjected to the winter season when it's not going to be eating as much. In captivity it could get even bigger. If you get anywheres near that it's going to be 20 some inches long full grown, and extremely fat. Just for one fish, it would need Lots and lots of food and I would imagine be difficult to have unless you had it in a very large aquarium. Just for reference, try and go to a local fish hatchery and see what size container they have these fish in. Anything bigger than a brookie, forget about it. Same for bass. If it's going to be in a heated aquarium where it feeds year round substantially, it could get well over 10 lbs. Not to mention it needs lots of room to swim. Imagine an excited 15 lb largemouth swimming head on into the side of a tank, Unless it was heavily reinforced it could cause major problems. Just my two cents.

no i get it but i eat fish .i eat them but i wouldnt eat my own fish i ws probly gonna do a large pond for them or something were i live there are a bit of cyotes and foxes so 8 pound brooks wont be a problem most likely. my mom doesn't sound to happy about the idea me being 14 but still a possibility a little later on.

Besides, a lot of fish you catch in local waters have mercury and other nasty things like that in them that if you bring into your house can't be good for you

Back
Top Bottom