Will a prawn and a blue lobster get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this prawn as a gift which just ate some of the neons I put in there (lessoned learned), so now I am thinking of putting a blue lobster in there with him.

Will they get along?

Please let me know,

Jeff

You need to be more specific about the species you are referring to, but I would be cautious about mixing different species of lobsters/crayfish/prawns because of the different sizes they reach. I had a friend who kept three of the same species of crayfish in the same tank and they still attacked each other, though I believe this was probably an effect of the tank's size more than anything else. What size tank do you have the prawn in?

I really don't know the species, the prawn was given to me and the blue lobster is one at petco.

Right now the prawn is in a 20gal tank and if I had to guess the blue lobster is about 1" bigger.

Sorry I don't have more info.

Jeff

I can't give you a definite answer because my only experience is indirect. I would caution against it because of the potential size difference and aggression issues- remember that they will grow and some species of "blue lobster" get very large.

Check aussiecray.com for some good info on crayfish, and from there you can probably find some cray/lobster keepers that will be able to give you a better answer.

I would'nt put the prawn in with the blue lobster. Heck, I would'nt put anything in with those lobsters, they get really big and eat anything they can get thier claws on, including plants.The blue lobsters in Petco going around the country get rather large, 8" to 12". What did Petco find some big blue lobster breeder and are distributing them around the country? If so, I wish they would stop, there wreaking havoc all over the place.

Check out this site and try and find out what type of crustacians you have.

http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/

If its a "long legged" prawn that has tiny pinchers, toss it into your big planted tank. Long legged shrimp for the most part have tiny pinchers used for scavanging, not catching pray. Remember to identify which type prawn you have and what thier needs are.

I have an Indian Prawn (long legged) that is 3" long in my planted tank (his antenna thingies are close to 5" long). He never bothers any tank mates. Truely beautiful and fasinating to watch. I've been a big shrimp fan for years. I use shrimp for a clean up crew (read my sig below).

BTW Jeff, I'm upgradeing your status to "Super Freak". You have a ton of projects going on. Make sure you do your research :D

Mojo Troll said:
Long legged shrimp for the most part have tiny pinchers used for scavanging, not catching pray.

He did say it ate a few neons. So prolly not good.

I'm curious to know what it is, let us know Jeff when you find out, or post a photo if you can!

Back
Top Bottom