Will an eheim 2217 be enough filtration for a 100g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
It will be a heavily planted tank, will I be fine with a 2217 or should I get something else?

When you factor in the plants I'm not as sure, as they help a bit.

But, my philosophy is when it comes to filters:

If you aren't sure, add some more.

Thats my philosophy for many things. Like how much cheese for my nachos, or how many plates of nachos for my stomach. Haha!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I run a 2217 on my planted 90 and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2215 is for 92 gallons the 2217 is rated for 159 gallons

I have a heavily planted 90 gallon with injected Co2 I run a 2217 - it has been an excellent filter - imo it would be absolutely enough for a planted 100 gal

It's all in how many gph you want filtered for your aquarium. Some are ok with adequate, some want more. Make yourself happy. That's what matters.

Personally i would do 2 filters of almost enough GOH instead of just one big one, that way you get more spread out coverage. Just my opinion.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I use an Eheim 2217 on a 50g tank.

Brilliant filters. No water bypass. Easy to use. Dead silent.
My water is super crystal clear.

If I had a 100g tank, I would think a single Ehiem 2217 would not be sufficient.
Either 2x 2217 canisters, or get a single EHEIM classic 1500XL.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well thanks for all the input. I'm still trying to make up my mind. Money is tight for me so I really am not looking to spend more than $200. So my options are get 1 nice eheim classic 2217 or I could go with 2 sunsuns. I'm torn because the sunsuns would offer more filtration but its in my bedroom and everyone comments on how quiet the eheim is... :confused:

Get the Eheim you like now. Keep up with weekly pwc's, and save up to buy another Eheim later.

I have a SunSun canister with like 500-600GPH (not sure exactly as it was bought used without the exact name, its one of the larger ones...) and its quiet. The four HOB are sooooo much louder. I can only hear the SunSun if i put my head under the stand. All my tanks are in my bedroom and i sleep fine. It would be silent if i took away my HOB filters. The SunSun really doesnt make much noise, its quieter than a fan.

Maybe ask a LFS if they are running one, see if you can hear it?

I would go with the SunSun if its a big difference in GPH, otherwise its a toss up.

I have the sunsun 304b, it's actually one of the best filters I've ever owned, much better than the smaller sunsun I had so I won't be chucking this one out the door lol

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah as of now I think I will be going with 2 sunsun 404b. I mean 1000 gph vs 260 gph is a big difference. The only thing I don't like is the sunsuns don't come with media.

Yeah as of now I think I will be going with 2 sunsun 404b. I mean 1000 gph vs 260 gph is a big difference. The only thing I don't like is the sunsuns don't come with media.

Mine came with bio balls, ceramic rings, pads and carbon.

It's easy enough to find the media pads, I'd opt for a ceramic or sinter based bio media. I use seachem matrix but I guess it's expensive in comparison?? The sun suns are solid cheap cannisters. Have been running a 302 and 304 problem free for over a year. Super easy to clean as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's easy enough to find the media pads, I'd opt for a ceramic or sinter based bio media. I use seachem matrix but I guess it's expensive in comparison?? The sun suns are solid cheap cannisters. Have been running a 302 and 304 problem free for over a year. Super easy to clean as well.

Media pads are the same as the Aquatop I believe

Media pads are the same as the Aquatop I believe

I actually used marineland in both, had to trim it for the 302 but it fit perfectly in the 304.

Back
Top Bottom