Will bamboo shrimp eat their shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurfQ

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I've heard that when a shrimp moults, you should leave the moult in the tank and they will eat it, which is apparently a good supplement to thier diet. But, I'm wondering if this applies to bamboo/wood shrimp. Being that they are normally filter feeders, I'm not sure if they are even capable of eating such a thing? Anybody know? I ask because I spotted my first ever shrimp moult in my tank this morning. Pretty cool! I'm wondering if I should leave it in or not.

Yes, most FW shrimp will if given a bit of time and if they're not hassled. I tend to leave the molt in there with my amano shrimp for a day or two and then take out whatever is left. I've never seen them eat it, but I guess they at least have the option!

The reason they eat it is not just dietary; the extra calcium helps their skin harden after a molt so they're less vulnerable.

[/quote]The reason they eat it is not just dietary; the extra calcium helps their skin harden after a molt so they're less vulnerable.
I never knew that! My prawn eats his every time he molts. I went to take the molt out (about 3 yrs ago when I first got him) and saw he was eating it. I figured it must be part of the natural order of things and let him munch away.

I'd say leave it and see if they do, I didn't know inverts would do things liek that after a molting, pretty cool

Yes, they do. My Bamboo eats his when he molts. The most recent time I saw the molt right after it happened. It looked identical to him so I pulled it from the tank thinking that he died. Then a few hours later I saw him roaming around the tank. Oops!

LOL Yeah, I likely would have thought the same thing had I not already read about the moulting on here. So I was ready for it! Still looked pretty freaky. I think my goldfish may have had a few nibbles on it. They'll eat just about anything :)

Back
Top Bottom