will cat fish eat new born Molly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyTaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. My Molly has recently had 10 babies. Will any cat fish eat them or,will they be quite peaceful.thanks

What kind of catfish do you have?

In my experience, they will consume anything that will fit in their mouths.

I left my molly fry in the main tank and they knew enough to hide in the java moss until they were no longer a target. If your tank is set up correctly for fry, you don't have to worry too much.

Well the tank has only been set up for a short while but they are hiding and the other fish arnt to bothered. . I have most in a separate part of the tank, however some have jumped out into the main tank.

I havnt got any as yet but was looking for 2 to clean the tank so they should be pre occupied with that.

Possibly looking at flying fox, any suggestions for small cleaning cat fish?

What size is the tank and which species and how many of them do you have in there now?

Well the tank is only 25 ltr so not massive but there is only 4 mollies and 5 neon tetras. They seem to be very happy fish.

Well the tank is only 25 ltr so not massive but there is only 4 mollies and 5 neon tetras. They seem to be very happy fish.

That's roughly 6 gallons. You're actually overstocked already. This tank cannot support catfish or anything other than what you already have.

I agree and you are going to be massively overstocked in a short period of time.

Ahh I see. Well I may have to get a tank for the other fish anyway (or given them up) so ill have to rethink. Thanks.

Most of the catfish get fairly sizeable, so I just want to be sure you don't think that if you empty this tank out, you can reuse it for a cat. It just wouldn't work.

No I would put the cat fish in another tank. Looking at 130ltr atm. So see how things pan out.

Even with that size tank, you'll have to be careful as to which species you're looking at. My catfish may grow to 8 inches. I have him in a 75 gallon tank. They come in many sizes and varieties, so hopefully you can find something that works out for the tank and for you. (y)

Back
Top Bottom