Will fish get burned on my Tronic Heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Tronic Heater (150) in my new tank along with a Fluval 3+ Underwater Filter. It said to put it near the Filter so that the water from the filter could be blown past it and warmed. I have it stuck vertically with suction pads to the right rear of the tank. The thing is I am worried that the fish when swimming in that area might go near it and get burnt? Is that what could happen?

I am confused by the instructions as to whether it can be fully submersed or not too. If that was the case would it be wise to lie it horizontally near the middle of the tank just under the water surface!?

Thanks.

A heater won't harm your fish unless it's set to "boil" :lol:

I'm not famaliar with Tronic. I'd suggest seeing if they have a website, and emailing your specific questions.

The only fish I know of that may sometimes get close enough to get burned by a heater is the common pleco. I believe that is what happened to mine once. All the other fish I have ever had seemed to know to stay away. I don't believe that would be a problem.

I don't know the specifics about the Tronic Heater you have. Do the instructions talk about submersing the heater completely? I would not completely submerse it until you are sure it can be done. I had a heater that was not submersible that accidentally got submersed. Thereafter I could no longer adjust how much it heated and it would heat to a very high temp.

I placed submersible heaters horizontal, diaganolly, and vertical depending on how I organize my tank. I don't think it matters too much.

Thanks for the replies, I've been doing some research and many other people have been confused too. However Hagen have stated that it is fully submersible now, just that on some boxes e.g in Canada, they have to list a maximum level limit for legal reasons. The only thing I am thinking is that many people have had perfect experiences with them, and some have found some condensation creeping into the heater - it just depends. But I would assume that that could be the same for any heater. Keeping any eye on the heater is a must for any owner isn't it?

my otos like hanging out behind my heater sometimes and they seem to be fine. I wouldn't think a company would make a heater for tanks where live animals will be and make it so they could get burned. And even if they did, they would probably put a warning or include a cover, right? I thinking checking out the website and finding a contact to ask they question is the best thing you can probably do. HTH.

Tronic makes covers/guards for their heaters. Unfortunately, there are incidences where fish do get burned by heaters. If you are concerned, I would definitly shell out the couple of bucks to purchase one. I have one on the 46 gallon - and so far, so good!

Here's a pic:

Back
Top Bottom