Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will Fish Starve if you Don't Feed Them?

Will they starve and die if you go 2 or 3 days without feeding?

I keep reading 'don't overfeed?' so wondering if you can skip days and if it actually might be healthy to do this?

Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

About what kind of fish are we talking?
It depends if u have a verry plant tank lats say thats been running for a year or more then ur fish could probebly eat things like algea etc but i would still feed ur fish daily just make sure that everything gets eaten that u give them i feed my fish every evening and in the weekends 2 times when im home

Old 11-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

My 20g tank is very new. Talking about goldfish, Siamese F. fish, looking to get
cherry barb, paradise fish, tetra, black molly, albino guppy, cichlid.

No live plants yet; the shop owner said my newly placed gravel had no nutrients, thus I shouldn't have live plants yet.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have both a goldfish and betta already? Or are those on the list of things you're considering?
Old 11-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Golfish doesent need a heater the other fish do if the tank is new with that many fish do lots of water changes
Old 11-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish can easily go a week without food if you had to leave town or something.

You should skip a day of feeding every week for health/digestive purposes. It's a good practice.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #7

Thanks all.
GF and Betta were the first two I got. Going to stick with them, in spite of their reputations.
Got to Petco today and that list above went 80% out the window. Got 2 Panda Molly, a Dalmation Molly (they had NO Black Mollies), some Albino fish and some blue silver dollar looking fish. Oh yeah, and two Neon Tetras.

Skip a day of feeding - thanks King Fisher, that makes sense to me.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard that skipping a feeding day is good for the fish, but I have never seen any evidence that that is true. Anyone have any real solid information to verify that? Sure, you can skip a day or two or three. You can also fast yourself for three days. But healthy? I doubt it.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not to sound mean but your stocking is way off. Goldfish are better off in coldwater while everything else needs warm water. It will either get huge and eat your other fish or be stunted and have a much shorter lifespan.

You can't keep guppies with betta, they will fight.
Silver dollar looking fish, maybe a blue dwarf gourami? Those also can't be kept with bettas. Silver dollars get way too big for a 20 gallon tank.
Neons need to be kept in schools of around 6.
Also adding too many fish all at once can cause problems.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I've heard that skipping a feeding day is good for the fish, but I have never seen any evidence that that is true. Anyone have any real solid information to verify that? Sure, you can skip a day or two or three. You can also fast yourself for three days. But healthy? I doubt it.
I've heard that this is a common practice for bettas to keep them from getting constipated. I do it for mine but I've never seen any hard evidence that it helps.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have always skipped a day of feeding except in my fry tank and nobody seems bothered by it.
Goldfish are cold watet fish and Betta need 83f so not a good mix AT ALL before even considering the size a single Goldfish can get
Old 11-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

If the fish tank is new there isent much food so wouldent go more than 2 days without feeding personly
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will Fish Starve if you Don't Feed Them?

Fish are different than humans. There's plenty of literature out on this if one wanted to know more about it.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
There's plenty of literature on it if one wished to learn about it. Fish aren't humans.
Old Today, 01:09 PM   #15

With some of my fish in some of my tanks it is hard to get them to eat food I add because they are not overstocked and are feedinG off the tank.

Being able to go a few daysvwithout added food should be fine if the fish is in good condition.

If full of tapeworms or other parasites, as more than a few are, my answer would be different because the fish is starving while being fed every day.

Your fish will tell you if you pay attention to them.
Old Today, 02:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF View Post
My 20g tank is very new. Talking about goldfish, Siamese F. fish, looking to get
cherry barb, paradise fish, tetra, black molly, albino guppy, cichlid.

No live plants yet; the shop owner said my newly placed gravel had no nutrients, thus I shouldn't have live plants yet.
I'm not trying to come across as a prick, but I'll add to what the others have said.

This is a bad combination of fish. Bettas (siamese fighting fish) rarely do well in freshwater communities. It's been done (I've done it), but it's completely dependant on the betta's personality. Some will be okay with other colorful fish in the tank, the majority will not. Goldfish generally shouldn't be kept with freshwater fish, and don't do well in 20 gallons. They'll outgrow that pretty quick. They also like colder water than all the other fish. Never put cichlids in with freshwater communities. There are some exceptions (eg angelfish or some rams), but you need to do some research on which cichlids are least likely to kill everything else.

NEVER put gouramis and bettas together. Bettas and paradise fish are gouramis and they're gonna be very territorial.

As for an ideal setup, a paradise fish, barbs, tetras, molly, and guppy are gonna be pretty compatible. I'd go with that, and just leave the goldfish, betta, and cichlid for other tanks.

If you find plants that most of their nutrients from the water column (eg duckweed, mosses, hornwoort, crypts) then the newness of the tank won't be a problem as long as you're adding liquid fertilizer weekly or twice-weekly. The nutrients that are in your gravel are largely the same nutrients found in your water column. For plants the get the majority of their nutrients from the roots, some root tabs will help quite a bit.
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I asked for evidence that skipping a feeding day is healthy for fish. I have checked the scientific literature and see no evidence for this practice. I see lots of aquarium sites that repeat the the idea of skipping a day, but where is the actual evidence?
There are some scientific studies that show that young fish in aquaculture do best being fed 3 times a day every day. Another study shows that fish have circadian rhythms, just like we do, and their hormones and digestive juices increase and decrease in anticipation of being fed. So by skipping a day feeding all you are doing is messing with a fish's hormonal and digestive system. Sure, you can do it if you have to leave town, but to do it because "it is healthy" ? Nope. It's not.

Tags
feed, fish, star, starve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com