Will gold barbs nip plakat betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

destroy-ya-vampire-money

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 20 gallon long aquarium and I want to get a shoal of gold barbs (7 or 8). If I move my large plakat male betta from my five gallon to give him more room, will he be nipped?

He is quite large (contrary to the picture) and seems to handle stress better than my other bettas (from what I've seen when I bought him and added him to my divided betta tank).

Filter: Tetra Whisper Power Filter 30
Acidic
Currently cycling

Attachments

• P1040375.jpg
    P1040375.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 103
Gold barbs should be fine. I say should because nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to fish. Gold barbs and cherry barbs are a different species than Tigers and Rubies. Gold and cherry barbs aren't really fin nippers. Watch the difference in how gold barbs interact with each other compared to how tigers interact. Much different.

I had a community that had cherry barbs, cardinals, silver molly, gourami, and female beta and it was the beta that harassed everyone.

I have (well, am) keeping a delta tail betta in my community tank with Gold Barbs, Rams, Tetras, and Cory Cats. So far, the barbs only took a few nips at the betta when I first put him in the tank, but it was not directed towards his tail.
The betta doesn't bother anyone unless they bother him. I can tell he doesn't really like being in the tank with the other fish, but he had no where else to go, so he will have to deal with it for now.

It does seem to depend on the temperament of the specific fish at hand - some people have even had cherry barbs rip apart other long-finned fish, while others have successfully kept tiger barbs and angelfish together. That being said, you could try it out but be sure to have a backup plan in case of failure.

Back
Top Bottom