Will I ever decide? Stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How does this sound to you all, in a 48g tank.

3 x yoyo loaches
1 x bristlenose
3 x pictus cats
3 x upside-down cats
2 x bolivian rams

The only forseeable problem is the amount of mid-bottom dwellers, but if this becomes an issue as the fish mature, I'll move/return either the pictus or the upside-down cats and replace with a couple angels or gouramis or something.

I was also thinking I might get a school or two of something small while the main fish are still young (and too small to eat them, in the case of the pictus), to fill in the space a bit. How big does a pictus need to be before it can eat a 1" fish?

Katy, and the case of the never-ending fish-choosing

It might or might not be an issue as the fish mature... but do you VISUALLY want that many bottom dwelling fish?

Because you will look at your tank from a distance and possibly see only 2 fish (your rams).

I would say pick between the loaches and the bristlenose and pick between the pictus cat and the upside down cats... and then get more middle dwellers (angels or gouramis like you suggested).
But, if you feel visually it won't be a problem, then go for it.

On a side note, you spell your name the same way I do (the cool way :wink: )

the ones i've chosen aren't all that hidey, from what i've read (the upside-downs would be the most hidey), so i don't think there'll be a problem with not seeing fish.

the bn and the loaches are absolutes, no way they're going anywhere :D but i will choose between the pictus and the upside-down if i need to. i prefer the pictus, but my boyfriend likes the upside-downs. we'll see when we get them anyway.

even if they do hide, if my tank is pretty enough with plants and driftwood, i don't need to see fish constantly. and if i get a school or two of something small, then that solves that problem for the time being. i just love the bottom-dwellers so much, i'd have a whole tank full of them if i could! i really wanted cories too, but that would be pushing my luck - especially with pictus.

Im pleased to hear the Yoyo's are a must!

Everyone seems to love Clown loaches. Dont get me wrong there awesome fish, i read somewhere that "people really like the clown's characteristics when they just seem to lie down on the bottom of the tank"

Well my yoyo's do exactly that. I have a FAT! yoyo and he is so lazy and just lay's there with his fat belly wating until he can be bothered to search for food in the gravel. The other one is the baby of the 2, he does get chased around a bit by the bigger one but he seems healthy, really good colours more than the fat one.
Clown's and Yoyo's are both loaches so i dont see why people tend to favour the clowns. Yoyo's have amazing paterns and are entertaining!

I found deciding on what to stock a real challenge. Although i think im finally happy with my fish now. Im jealous that your tank is bigger and you can have 3 yoyo's, they do better when theres more of them.
I dont think you can ever really have a mental image of your tank when its fully stocked i find fish to be unpredictable. Although im a relatively inexpierienced aquarist

i admit i wanted clowns, and it was really hard to admit that my tank wasn't big enough for them, not in the long run. in addition, until only a couple months ago, clowns and khuli's were the only loaches you could get in australia! they made yoyo's legal and i was over the moon! now i can get that loachy cuteness with something that's even cooler than clowns, because it's new and interesting :D

i know what you mean about it's hard to visualise it. i'm basically going to be getting the fish in order of what i want the most, and see how we go, bit by bit.

If you decide either only pictus or only upside-downs, then I'd pobably get a couple more yoyo's. The more the merrier.

Also, if I'm right, if you get pictus, I wouldn't get any small mid-tank fish, as I believe the pictus would have a feast.

Is it a 4ft tank? If not, definitely do not go with the pictus cats, as they needs LOTS of room to prosper. I'd say go with a gourami or a couple angels and a group of schooling fish.

yeah, 4ft tank, approx 48g. i know i can't get any small schooling fish, but i'm ok with that - i like the look of less larger fish over a bunch of little fish.

does anyone know how fast pictus grow compared to my other fish? i don't want them reaching mature-mouth-size before the others have grown too big to eat. and how likely are they to take a chunk out of a fish too big to eat?

My pictus cats grew pretty quickly in about a month's time but they only get to about 4". It is very unlikely for them to take a chunk of other fish, I don't think they'll try to eat a fish that can't fit in their mouth. It hasn't happened with mine anyway. They can be territorial with each other though.

territorial with each other... aren't they supposed to do better in groups, though? i'd be more than happy to get just one, but i want him to be happy, and i want him to be active during the day, which i've read a group is necessary for.

i'm worried about him growing too fast and eating my slower-growing yoyo loaches (i have only been able to find them at about 2" or less), or the others for that matter.

Mine developed their own territories, each have their own decoration they stay in. If one gets too close, it will chase the intruder out. They do allow any other fish besides their own species in though.
They did initially swim together, I think they only do this when younger though (the ones I have are now adults). HTH

ok, that makes sense. i'll definitely get 3 little ones, then, and see how they go through to adult, maybe rehome one if they don't have enough of their own space.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom