Will java fern roots grow in substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a java fern growing on some driftwood and my dad and I cut some plantlets off today and since we didn't have any driftwood left we buried the plantlets roots in the gravel

Will they still grow?

As long as the rhizome is not buried you should have no issues. Just make sure the rhizome gets light or it will rot and the plant will die.

Yes, it can grow as long as the rhizome is not buried. But I have some small ferns in my 29 and I just let em float. It's kind of unsightly, but IMO they grow faster this way.

Rhyzome? I'm so confused what is that

I buried the roots so the leaf is sticking out. Is that right

the rhyzome is kinda like a trunk but horizontal, it has the leaves coming off it and the roots come off it also.

The roots are the "white" stringy things hanging off the bottom. Those are the only thing you bury. The rhizome is the long pencil shaped piece that the root are coming out of on the bottom of it and the leaves are growing out the top of it. Only the white roots get buried in the substrate none of the "green" parts of the plant. Does this help?

Hey guys so if I'm correct I don't exactly see the rhizome

It's basically this

image-1793977689.jpg

The only thing that is buried are the roots

It's planted correct and the rhizome is the green bean looking part laying horizontally on the substrate that the leaves are growing out of.

Rivercats said:
It's planted correct and the rhizome is the green bean looking part laying horizontally on the substrate that the leaves are growing out of.

Yeah then I'm all set I guess

Back
Top Bottom