Will Laterite raise my ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if I add laterite to my tank for my plants will it raise my ph significantly? I like to keep it right around 7.0, seems to be the middle ground for all the fish I have, or would like to have. Also is laterite really that beneficial to plants? My tank specs are in my sig minus the 3 C. Loach, lost them to Ich treatment(cupramine).

I was wondering if I add laterite to my tank for my plants will it raise my ph significantly?

It is neutral as far as ph goes, it will neither raise nor lower your ph.
Also is laterite really that beneficial to plants?

Yes, it is. long explanation short, it provides a " nutrient collecting/transfer area" unlike regular gravel. it attracts loose nutrients, the plant roots then pull it from there.

Go to thekrib.com for a scientific explanation of laterite and CEC exchange ratio. frankly, it's over my head, but it works.

I like to keep it right around 7.0, seems to be the middle ground for all the fish I have, or would like to have.

Don't sweat the ph that much anyway, when the experts say "needs neutral ph" most tank raised fishies can take say 6.4- 7.6 easily, as long as you acclimate them after purchase.

you have lots of light, what about co2?

Thanks CC. I read the article from the Krib, to be honest it's a bit beyond my understanding. I have great light now. The CustomSealife lamp is putting out excellent light. I do not have CO2, I tried a DIY with a water bottle and some yeast/sugar, it didn't work very weel, I was interested in the Hagen Natural CO2 setup, but don't really want anymore equipment haging all over my tank.

Hey JamesMJ2,

I have two of the Hagen CO2 units and have them set up below my tank inside the stand. Hagen gives you around 4 feet of tubing so that you can put them on the ground instead of hanging them from the tank. If you do decide to keep them on the ground make sure they won't get knocked over. I have both of mine sitting in a box inside the stand as they tip over easily if simply placed on the ground by themselves. I am sure you have read the horror stories when a DIY CO2 kit get knocked over. A lovely concoction of alcohol, yeast, and sugar could get sprayed into the tank.

Yuck.. I was wondering if you guys had any reccomendations for Laterite. I can get my hands on some "First Layer" laterite, but it looked like regular gravel painted rust red. Thanks for the info BTW Biggen.

Back
Top Bottom