will my fish kill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about putting 3 different kinds of tetra all small and 3-4 of each kind will they eat each other or be friends ? what do you think.

No, they will not kill eachother, why would you think that?
And fish don't kill for killing, they kill for snacks..... 8)
As long as they can't fit in eachothers mouths, then they won't eat eachother, so your different tetras will be fine together.

The only Tetra I have in my tank that kills are the Congo Tetras, but at 3-4" top end they are not really "Small" Tetras, but all the other tetras I have get along great, some even travel with eachother :)

Some of my tetras school together too (green fires and rummy nose). You'll be fine. One thing that may help your tetras feel more comfortable is to get 2 species instead of 3, and get 6 to 8 of each kind. Tetras generally do better in larger numbers. If you really want 3 species it will work out though. :mrgreen:

Is this the 10 gal tank? Tetras like to be in shoals of 3+, 5+ is even better. A ten gal tank can only hold about 7 tetras, depending on size.

I diagree with you respectfully Billsgate most fish kill for food but some fish such as some aggressive cichlids kill to protect a territory or when spawning.

Their is one fish that simply is EVIL and kills for killing Melanochromis Aurctus NEVER BUY ONE! they will kill fish twice their size.

Back to the question...They tetras should be just fine together.

JMHO

Their is one fish that simply is EVIL and kills for killing Melanochromis Aurctus NEVER BUY ONE! they will kill fish twice their size.
I think you are giving them a bad wrap. Yes they are one of they more agressive of the africans but I would not call them evil. I also doubt they kill for no reason. Most cichlids will be agressive towards fish species that are similar in coloration to themselves. The male M. Auratus is blue and black, the female yellow and black. You have just covered most of the colors of other africans. Hence they will feel threatened by most other fish in their tank. As for killing a fish twice their size, they are very efficient.
I for one will not keep them, but they are not EVIL :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom