will my stocking plan work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New

Aquarium Advice FINatic
60 gallon, 2x penguin 350 bio wheels, all live plants
10x red eye tetra
10x long fin serpae tetra
10x bleeding heart tetra
2x three spot gourami (1 male, 1 female)
1x pleco (BN or clown)

I believe this should work in this tank.

You should be fine bioload-wise. I typically stick to two schools per tank, just for swim room and territorial reasons. Maybe you could replace one school with a single, larger fish?
But as I said you should be fine with that filtration. :>

will buenos aires tetras work instead of bleeding heart (will they eat my plants? i've read conflicting info on this issue)

Yes they will eat your plants (At least in my experience they will).

Also, might I point out that your Serpaes may have a change of nipping your 2 Gouramis - Just sayin'.

Yes they will eat your plants (At least in my experience they will).

Also, might I point out that your Serpaes may have a change of nipping your 2 Gouramis - Just sayin'.

ty for the warning :D

I agree with PHP. I think your stocking sounds fine bioload-wise, but IMO serpaes should not be stocked with gouramis. They are usually very nippy and slower moving fish often bear the brunt of their nippiness. Red eye tetras are the same way. I had some for awhile, but re-homed them because they are rather nippy and aggressive as far as tetras go IMO/E.
Clown plecos are really cool. I vote clown pleco over bnp if you can find one. :)

Actually, I think it depends on whether you can keep the Serpaes and Red Eyes in the same tank with longfinned fish - it really all depends on the personality of each individual fish.

I have successfully kept Red Eye Tetra with Angelfish before. No nipping. School of 8 when I did.

Actually, I think it depends on whether you can keep the Serpaes and Red Eyes in the same tank with longfinned fish - it really all depends on the personality of each individual fish.

I have successfully kept Red Eye Tetra with Angelfish before. No nipping. School of 8 when I did.

i'm doing schools of 10, shouldnt that help them to keep the aggression amongst themselves?

i'm doing schools of 10, shouldnt that help them to keep the aggression amongst themselves?
Truthfully, it depends. I still advise against it. IME, serpaes are usally nippy no matter what. But, some people have kept them without an issue. If you want to try it, go ahead. Just be very watchful. I personally would try the red eyes long before I would try the serpaes. My red eyes were pretty nippy. Once I moved them to my angel community, the actually left the angels alone, but harassed the rummies and platys like mad. In a different community, they harrassed my silver tip tetras and a betta. But like I said, I would still give them a shot with a gourami before I would ever try a gourami with serpaes. Up to you though. :) Fish don't always do what we think they should do.

Back
Top Bottom