Will my tank crack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently purchased a Perfecto 90 gallon Surfline aquarium. The front of the tank is concave on the right side and convex on the left side. I got a good deal on it because it was a factory "second." Unfortunately, there is a problem. The front glass pane has a gap between it and the frame. It gap is at most 5/32" wide around the convex side and tapers off at the concave side. Also, the gap is nearly identical on both the top frame and the bottom frame.

The person who I purchased it from did fill it up with water and it did hold without andy leaks, but I am worried about the stress in the long run. I was thinking about filling the gap with epoxy. What should I do?

I just saw the tank you purchased at my LFS last weekend. Typical the plastic frame that is on the top and bottom of the tank isn't carrying the forces from the side (vertical) glass. i.e. the lip that wraps up isn't the thing keeping the glass connected at the bottom or top. On most tanks, full of water, you can pull out the plastic trim at the bottom slightly and the glass stays put. If you are only seeing a gap between the glass and the plastic trim at the top and bottom, either the convex of the glass or the convex of the trim wasnt formed correctly creating a gap. Other than athestic qualities I wouldn't worry about it. Just ensure that the sealed joints from the convex side is secure to the glass base of the aquarium, and ensure that the plastic trim, which keeps the glass bottom elevated from the stand is seated ok so that the tank doesn't fall out of the trim.

Basically, the plastic trim at the bottom serves 2 purposes, keeping the glass bottom elevated, and providing a "clean" finish for athestics at that base. It isn't however holding back any pressure from the sides. In fact... taking this plastic trim off and setting the tank flat on the stand would cause for no ill effects.

HTH

jcarlilesiu said:
Basically, the plastic trim at the bottom serves 2 purposes, keeping the glass bottom elevated, and providing a "clean" finish for athestics at that base. It isn't however holding back any pressure from the sides. In fact... taking this plastic trim off and setting the tank flat on the stand would cause for no ill effects.

HTH

(y) (y)

I think of it as a drip tray.. nothing else (for when I'm pulling my arm out of the tank). it also serves 1 other purpose. it stops your glasstops from becoming glass bottoms :)

Back
Top Bottom