Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will my tank cycle during move/upgrade?

I am moving my tank and will be upgrading to a new tank during that time and am wondering if it will kick it into a new cycle? I currently have a cycled 55 gallon planted tank. I plan on moving about 30 miles away. I will be removing all the fish and plants and transporting them all by buckets. I will be reusing all the same filters, heater, substrate, driftwood, and rocks, but I will be using a new 75 gallon tank and new water, except for what gets transported with the fish and plants. Will this cause my tank to kick into a new cycle?

I hope not, I'm already concerned about losing fish/plants during this move. I have too many fish in the tank to handle a recycle. I have 1 angelfish, 3 pearl gourami, 7 tiger barbs, 2 yo-yo loaches, 4 emerald green corycats, 6 otocinclus, and about 25 neon tetras. I've had them for a while and really don't want to lose any.

7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

shouldnt but you may have a mini cycle. you are using the same substrate? just keep the media and everything wet during the move.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont know about fresh but in saltwater the water isnt the main supporter of the bacteria its the rock and sand, so I would say as long as you use some of the water it would just be like a large PWC....JMO
Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

in fw its mostly the filter but also some in the substrate though not as much as in sw.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm using the same substrate, but I understand that the bacteria grows on the surface of the substrate and I'll be disturbing the substrate so I think I'll lose the bacteria on the surface. Also, I'll be losing all the bacteria on the surface of the glass on my original tank. I'm not sure if there's enough bacteria on the decor and in my filters/media alone to sustain the cycle. I thought I'd buy a bacterial product and add that after I get the new tank setup to give it a little boost? I guess that's all I can do, and cross my fingers. I'm worried about my fish...
7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

like i said most of it is in the filter. even if some dies you some lost they double every 24 hours so in a day you should be fine. like i said keep everything wet and it should be fine. no need to buy any products.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO...Bottled Bacteria=snake oil
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
like i said most of it is in the filter. even if some dies you some lost they double every 24 hours so in a day you should be fine. like i said keep everything wet and it should be fine. no need to buy any products.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasmarine View Post
IMO...Bottled Bacteria=snake oil
I agree.

I've moved tanks many times, and although it's a giant pain to do, I've never had any problems. You're lucky you're only going 30 miles... I moved my 75 gallon 440 miles a few months ago. It didn't re-cycle. I wouldn't use any of the old water either. You're basically just moving dirty water and if your fish are used to large water changes like mine are, it won't be a problem.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I moved my tank and I dunno if I did something wrong, but I am currently re-cycling.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I moved my 115G across Vegas and the only thing I kept was the filters and fish. I changed substrate, water and decor. All fish made it but 1 and that one died from stress during the trip, not from the change in tanks. Just temp match the dechlored water and keep anything that has bacteria on it wet and you will be golden.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, move, tan, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com