Will my tank fall through the floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was cruising the DIY section of this forum and saw that someone posted something about if their tank will fall through their second story floor. And this worried me, my 55g will be in my room on the second floor. There is no water in it now... but will it fall through the floor?
Any contractors out there???

I have a 55 gal on my second story, full. It is about 600 lbs full with substrate etc. You will be fine. Most floors can easily withstand that kind of weight. It would be different if it were over a tiny area but over 4 feet across, no problem with mine. Can't see a problem with yours. Now my 125 I planned out with my floor joists in mind. LOL

Can you get six grown people to stand where you want your tank? If you're worried, arrange the tank so it goes across a support beam.

You'll be fine. The tank won't "fall through the floor". The worst that may happen would be the floor would bow where the tank is sitting. Chances of that happening from a 55 gal tank? Slim, VERY slim. It's when you get into larger tanks that are tall versus long. We have a 150 gal Tall that I am scared to death to put on anything but a concrete slab. It's heavy and the weight is not distributed like most tanks.

I have my 46 in my room which is on a wood floor on the second story. It has a large amount of rocks in it plus 60lbs of sand, and it's been standing for 6 months. You should be ok.

I have an 100 gal tank on my first floor but its right over our garage so it's like a second floor. I've had it in the same spot against a wall for over 3 years now. You'll be OK if you place it against a supporting wall.

You will have no problems with a 55G, or even a 75G. Where I would be concerned is 90G and up, if the tanks are tall. Like Fishyfanatic mentions above, the smaller the area, the more concern you should have. If it's a Long tank, then the concern level goes down quite a bit. I'm looking at a 300G wide, but it will go on concrete slab. But from what I've asked, they tell me it would be just fine as long as it's properly set across joists, and along a support wall.

Back
Top Bottom