Will putting a new filter pad in cause a mini cycle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
48 hours sounds like a very short time for treatment. Ich can be inside the fishes skin for longer than 48hours and while its inside it cant be killed. If it says 48 hour treatment on the label theres a reason for it so considering that id suggest water changes every 48hrs and continue treating for a week after the last spot has gone.

The filter could potentially hold afew paracites yes, another plus for the heat treatment.

So your saying I should add the treatment, wait 48 hours, do a water change, then repeat the process for a week?

Also, will my filter be doing anything without the filter pad or will it just be keeping water movement?

I can cut back on food so ammo doesn't get to high during the process. Maybe fees every other day?

No your filter wont do anything but move the water. Actually without a sponge in the filter water changes every 48hr may not be enough. Why not just do the heat treatment and then you can leave everything the way it is. The meds your dad bought wouldnt of cost very much and he should understand the dilema if you explain it to him. Better yet have him read the thread.

Do not move the filter pad to another tank- you will likely transfer ich as well. If you remove the filter pad to a bucket then add it back after a full course of meds, you will also likely re-infest your tank.

So, here are your options- either to leave it in and use the med (meds may kill bb), toss it and use the med (then recycle) or opt for heat and/or salt treatment and leave the filter pad alone. No matter which method you chose, your still looking at atleast a week and half to two plus weeks of treatment.

No your filter wont do anything but move the water. Actually without a sponge in the filter water changes every 48hr may not be enough. Why not just do the heat treatment and then you can leave everything the way it is. The meds your dad bought wouldnt of cost very much and he should understand the dilema if you explain it to him. Better yet have him read the thread.

I increased the heat to 86 degrees and ill see how everything goes. I doubt ill be able to do the salt treatment, so ill stick with the heat for now. Id it doesn't work ill do the med. how does this sound?

How long should I keep the tank at 86?

Do not move the filter pad to another tank- you will likely transfer ich as well. If you remove the filter pad to a bucket then add it back after a full course of meds, you will also likely re-infest your tank.

So, here are your options- either to leave it in and use the med (meds may kill bb), toss it and use the med (then recycle) or opt for heat and/or salt treatment and leave the filter pad alone. No matter which method you chose, your still looking at atleast a week and half to two plus weeks of treatment.

How will it kill my bb If I use the meds?

Treat for at least a week after the last spot disappears. Good luck. Without salt it may take alittle longer but stick it out, it should slowly get better day by day. If some spots go and some new ones appear dont worry too much. The amount of spores will decrease over time.

Depends on the active ingredients in the med which is why I wrote 'may'. Some ich meds contain strong oxidizers that will effectively kill off your good bacteria.

Treat for at least a week after the last spot disappears. Good luck. Without salt it may take alittle longer but stick it out, it should slowly get better day by day. If some spots go and some new ones appear dont worry too much. The amount of spores will decrease over time.

Okay thanks :) ill keep you all updated on how it goes!

Jlk is right again some ich treatments can effect the bacteria but most treatments now are bb safe and from a company like API i would expect nothing less.

Also warmer water holds less oxygen make sure you have enough surface aggitation, a airstone too if possible.

Back
Top Bottom