Will red lobster/crayfish eat my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cycled a 20 gal tank and it's ready to go. Threw in some glassy fish today.Planning to make a community tank and red crayfish looks great. Although I'm concerned for future fish.

The crayfish is about 2 inches in size. I think my fish will not have a problem during daytime but I don't wanna wake up next morning seeing my fish gone. Any advice on this?

The only crayfish that are typically safe with fish are Dwarf Orange Crayfish. All the other's are prone to swiping a fish half their body length or smaller while they sleep.

My electric blue crawfish constantly tries to catch fish. I've had her for nearly six months now and she's just over 2 inches.
I try to keep her well fed in order to curb the attempts, but she still tries. With as constant and as hard as she tries, I'm sure eventually she will catch one.

The only crayfish that are typically safe with fish are Dwarf Orange Crayfish. All the other's are prone to swiping a fish half their body length or smaller while they sleep.

Are shrimps ok with it? Gunna throw in some bamboo shrimps also if possible.

I would be cautious about adding bamboo shrimp. They have unique needs and are filter feeders. I would not put them in with a cray. Personally, I advise avoiding fish and crays together.
Also, what what do you mean by glassy fish?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm getting an orange dwarf cray since it can do well with fish. I'm only concerned about its interaction with shrimps.

By glassy fish, I mean Indian glassy fish.

Are shrimps ok with it? Gunna throw in some bamboo shrimps also if possible.

Depends on the cray, but most of them are okay even with RCS. A fair number of shrimp breeders keep dwarf orange crays with their colonies for some extra interest.

That said, keep an eye on them regardless. While they are usually fish safe and shrimp safe, there are always exceptions. I had a particularly large and ornery female Dwarf Orange Crayfish that acted more like the larger variants and killed anything she could get her claws on. All the other dwarf orange crays I've kept besides her have been very peaceful though, and very fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom