Will removing fish cause mini cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be removing 4 Odessa barbs and 4 zebra danios from my 29 gal 4 month old tank, 2 weeks later I will add a l134 Pleco and 2-3 hexazona barbs, there will still be fish present in between.

Hm. I don't believe so, the amount of bacteria could decrease though. Then colonize again.

Hungry nitrifying bacteria don't die instantly or even quickly. I read that they will survive without food altogether for a month or so. I bet you see no effect whatsoever on the water parameters.

Cool! Bb is the best!! So what about over feeding a bit to make up for the absence of waste?

Ok, just a thought. I guess I'll just keep a close eye on the water!

Removing fish don't cause mini-cycle. If you decrease bioload, then BB's number will decrease. If you add more fishs later, then a mini-cycle can occur, as the BBs number will have to increase until they're enough for the new bio-load.

Sometime mini-cycles are unperceptibles as they are too small to care about it...

Removing fish don't cause mini-cycle. If you decrease bioload, then BB's number will decrease. If you add more fishs later, then a mini-cycle can occur, as the BBs number will have to increase until they're enough for the new bio-load. Sometime mini-cycles are unperceptibles as they are too small to care about it...
The fish I'm adding two weeks after removing the first group will probably equal 50% of the bio load. Hopefully everything transitions smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom