Will the ammonia work for cycling my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
So while I am cycling my tank I was using fish food to addd ammonia. I was adviced to use pure ammonia instead. While my parents were at Walmart they got some ammonia cleaner. In the ingredients in has Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant

Is this safe to use or no?

Sorry no. If it says surfactant it's not the right stuff. Are you in the States? If so, Ace hardware has the right stuff. It's the Janitorial Strength Ammonia.

Sorry no. If it says surfactant it's not the right stuff. Are you in the States? If so, Ace hardware has the right stuff. It's the Janitorial Strength Ammonia.

Yeah we are in the staes but there is no Ace around here. I knew my parents wouldn't get the right stuff:facepalm:

Pure ammonia, no added ingredients, unless it's just cut down with water. A good trick to see if it's safe to use is to shake the bottle. If it gets really sudsy on top like it's soapy, and it doesn't go away instantly as a good shake to pure water should, it's not just ammonia in there, and is therefore not safe.

I used the pure ammonia. Took longer than expected, but worked fine for me!

Pure ammonia, no added ingredients, unless it's just cut down with water. A good trick to see if it's safe to use is to shake the bottle. If it gets really sudsy on top like it's soapy, and it doesn't go away instantly as a good shake to pure water should, it's not just ammonia in there, and is therefore not safe.

I used the pure ammonia. Took longer than expected, but worked fine for me!

Okay so mine won't work? That really sucks because it is 30-45 mins to wally world.:(

I suggest calling them first to see what they have. That way, you won't waste a trip. I second the advice about the ammo btw. In the meantime, keep using your fish food. It does work, it is just not as precise.

The nitrogen fixing bacteria won't grow in toxic water, so there's no point in using it. And if it hurts the bacteria, think of what those chemicals would do to your fish! You'd have to gut out your aquarium, and rinse EVERYTHING off, then start over anyways before you can throw fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom