Will the API test kit harm fish (discus) if put in Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I was testing my water earlier today I, on accident thought there was Aquarium water in my test tube but it was actually my ammonia solution. The test tube had about 5 ml of water in it but will it harm my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How big is the tank and how long since the solution went in ? I think probably you're ok, the solution in the test is a salicylate, and it's going to be so diluted once in the tank, I doubt it will hurt the fish. Even API doesn't say on their site what happens if you accidentally put the test solution in a tank.. you'd have to write them to ask what happens. But I'm guessing nothing much, particularly if it's a big tank.

If what you put in your tank was the test tube in which you tested your tank water for ammonia, I'm not sure. I believe that the first solution is sodium hydroxide. Not sure what the second one is.

You'll find out soon enough!

The API ammonia test has salicylate in it, not sodium hydroxide. Either way, with fish as sensitive as discus, if there were going to be a problem I think it would be showing up by now. Sincerely hope nothing happens, but in 50 gallons of water, the dilution factor is very high for 5 mls of solution.

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/3335...SVendors_2014_February_04_06-03-52-499_AM.pdf

Safety Data sheet for the #1 bottle of the test kit. It's salicylate and while it's nasty stuff if you consumed it or poured it on yourself, I still think the chances of it hurting the fish in a 50G tank are very slim. And there isn't anything you could do short of doing a total water change.

Might want to do a major water change anyway just to be super safe.. should have suggested that sooner.

Ah, so it's the PEG that gives it the high viscosity. Interesting.

Salicylate is the starting material for aspirin. It's an irritant in high concentration, but I don't see a very dilute solution harming your discus.

Back
Top Bottom