Will These Fish Get ALong Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can i do 1 angel?

and i made an updated list, let me know if it works.

the roslines like "Airation" or some crap,. should i just get an airstone?

lol, you can do whatever you want. :) it seems like you are set on angels and gouramis and rams being all together. go ahead and try it, but it may result in a lot of stress and possibly death in your tank. if you want to reduce the risk of stress/death, stick with one of the three. maybe gouramis and rams. angels may not fare well with either other. go ahead and give it a shot if you'd like, and let us know how it works.

Well I want to know for sure ahead of time, becasue those rams are exepenive bc i have to overnight ship it. i can see if my lfs will oder fish for me

Get rams last last last, they are sensitive to water conditions and need an established tank. Also, when rams pair off they will tear to pieces your other fish during mating season.

there is no way to know for sure. every fish has a different temperment. they may be fine all together for months, or they may tear each other apart in days. if you really want to be successful, keep researching before you buy anything. it sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research because 1) you don't know what aeration means and 2) i'm not still quite sure you know how to properly cycle your tank. if your tank is not properly cycled, any fish will have a hard time surviving. my advice is to get a test kit and make sure your water parameters are safe before going any further.

Here goes: List 5
1 Angel
3 rose line sharks
1 Red Hi fin Pleco
6 tiger barbs
maybe:
1 other Angel
1 bala

I am getting a test kit tomorrow assuming the store has them.

I am researching. I have done research on all the fish i can except the tiger barbs. I prefer people's opinions and experiences over a list of information that varies for from site to site.

Edit: Researched the barbs.Updated list. D4MN I WANT AN ANGELFISH

Yep I agree, anyways, you can have rams if you set a second breeding tank for them. A 20 gal tank for them would be good. Although I can't guarantee the male won't attack the female.

EDIT: Nix the bala and add in 2 more angels and get a breeding pair. You can probably get some fry out of those angels and sell them to the LFS for credit or something. But if you insist on the bala, they are gregarious and will need a bigger tank.

will you be able to provide the bala with a 6ft tank of 125gal+? if not, don't bother. roseline sharks seem like a good choice, assuming you will have the bigger tank you are planning on ready when they are ready to be moved. tiger barbs will prefer a group of 6+ or may become stressed or aggressive toward eachother.

Yeah 2 sites say 5 in a group but i put 6. if i do get barbs i might get like 10.ill scratch the bala.get more roselines instead.turns out roselines are actually barbs.

i want to do that with the angels but the problem is i dont know what gender they will be/which will pair up. do u know if theyr colors mix when they have fry

maybe you should start with angels then, get a group, wait for two to pair up, then give the rest back to the LFS. then you can go ahead with the rest of your stock. just a thought.

Yeah 2 sites say 5 in a group but i put 6. if i do get barbs i might get like 10.ill scratch the bala.get more roselines instead.turns out roselines are actually barbs.

i want to do that with the angels but the problem is i dont know what gender they will be/which will pair up. do u know if theyr colors mix when they have fry

Yes, colors will mix, that's how new strains and color morphs are made every day. Although both roselines and tigers are barbs they won't school, they may shoal but schooling might not happen. But you never know, I've had completely different species shoal before.

Hey desacrator, looks like we are getting closer to a good stocking list for you! :)

The roseline sharks are also commonly known as dennison's barb, in case that helps you with your research. I am reading online that they should be kept in groups of 6, you may be able to get away with 5 though. They are supposed to be kept in a tank with a current, so I'd keep that in mind - you may need a powerhead.

How long is your fish tank?

Generally, Tiger barbs and angels/gouramis are a bad mix, though. Also, the hifin pleco may be able to hide/fend for itself, but anything slow-moving or long-finned is a bad idea to mix with Tiger Barbs. Since the plecos hide very often, if you get a school of 6 or 7 tiger barbs you might give it a try, but be prepared to separate somebody.

hey i never actually knew the difference b/w schooling and shoaling. just looked it up.

Shoaling is perhaps the most fascinating social behaviour possessed by fish, although most attention has been focused on the most spectacular aspect of shoaling: schooling. A School of fish often seems to have a mind of its own, moving in co-ordinated fashion through complicated manoeuvres with the members precisely spaced within it. A shoal is any group of fishes that remains together for social reasons, whereas a school is a polarised, synchronised shoal (Pitcher and Parish 1993)
Is it a School, or Shoal, of fish? [Archive] - BSAC Scuba Diving Forums

interesting, thanks for pointing that out, Crepe.

"P. scalare is relatively easy to breed in the aquarium, although one of the results of generations of inbreeding is that many breeds have almost completely lost their rearing instincts resulting in the tendency of the parents to eat their young. In addition, it is very difficult to accurately identify the gender of any individual until they are nearly ready to breed.

Angelfish pairs form long-term relationships where each individual will protect the other from threats and potential suitors. Upon the death or removal of one of the mated pair, breeders have experienced both the total refusal of the remaining mate to pair up with any other angelfish and successful breeding with subsequent mates.

Depending upon aquarium conditions, P. scalare reaches sexual maturity at the age of six to twelve months or more. In situations where the eggs are removed from the aquarium immediately after spawning, the pair is capable of spawning every seven to ten days. Around the age of approximately three years, spawning frequency will decrease and eventually cease."

mommytron, sir, that aint gonna happen. unless i know that those fish are 6 months old. I'd rather get an aquarium full of schooling fish, and then get a second tank for my angels.

Mommy that is not gonna happen. I am not gonna wait 6 months to a year for those guys to pair up. i have to know that they had been born 6 months ago. If i see a pair of black or silver angels that i think are mates, ill buy them. if not ill get different fish.

sounds like a good plan!! :D i think a tank just for angels is a great idea. oh, and i'm a ma'am. :D

my posts are getting messed up. they show only part of them everytime i post so if something seems wierd its bc my brother is playing online. i have seen plecos and barbs before and they seem fine.]

for the roselines, is it ok i get them 1 at a time. they are like 40 bucks a pop. i might be able to get a deal if i get like 5 but can i get them like 1 a month for 6 months?

i have nver had schooling fish before, just solitary ones basically

what the heck kind of rock are you using??? i don't know of any that produce ammonia... i think you need to get your facts straight. and i just watched the company's video for the nutrafin cycle. it does not cycle a tank on it's own. you need an ammonia source. like fish poop, or decaying fish food, or pure ammonia.
+1

I have added an ammonia source. Myabe this needs to be in a new thread? like Does The_Desacrator Know How To Properly Cycle His Tank? Tune in this week and find out!

Edit: Fish Food to the above question

From the what you are saying it does sound like you don't know, nothing is making sense. Not to offend you or anything, but if you know what you are doing you should be able to explain it to us? What articles have you read... I really think you need to read about it more Cycling A Freshwater Aquarium - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
just trying to understand so we can help you out better. maybe if you were a little more clear we wouldn't be asking so many questions.

+1, also you need a test kit (liquid not strips they are innacurate) in order to even know what your parameters are. If you don't know your params you don't know if the tank is cycled unless you are psychic lol

hey i never actually knew the difference b/w schooling and shoaling. just looked it up.

Is it a School, or Shoal, of fish? [Archive] - BSAC Scuba Diving Forums

interesting, thanks for pointing that out, Crepe.

hhmmmm I never knew that either!

Good Luck Desacrator. And I suggest you try and find fish that are hardy

No I know about the cycle, I just have no tester. where I read it from I was never told to add a source. doesn't say on the bottle either. which is stupid as it should. none of the stuff i was given on the nitrogen cycle says anything about adding the ammonia as a source. and the wanter should have ammonia anyway. its purified by our government. its guaranteed our wanter is poison,

Angels and gouamis can get along, but i think it all depends on the age in which they are introduced to the tank and each other. I have always had two grouamis and two angels in every tank i have had. This time , i am down to one gourami because i cant seem to keep the chemistry right with them.

ANYWAY, 1 blue gourami and two blue powder dwarf gouramis do not bother my three angels one bit. They are all different.

and this whole cycling thing, just curious , but for all of us here , could you maybe devote reply to a step by step just so some of us can understand a little bit about what ur doing?

Back
Top Bottom