will this be sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking about buying this for my 55 gallon tank I'm starting. http://cgi.ebay.com/Marineland-Magn...726533229QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Is this filter large enough for my tank? it says up to 55 gallons, but in the past I'v always gone overboard on my filter size to help keep my tanks cleaner. But then again ive never done a planted tanki before. Is the price fair its quite a bit cheaper than the prices at my LFS.

I wouldn't waste money on a Magnum. get a true canister, like a Rena Filstar XP2, a Fluval, or an Eheim if you're loaded on cash.

Eheim and the Rena Filstar are the two top choices, but if your short on cash and/or just starting out check out www.thefishfactorywi.com They have a Ebay store that is currently selling the Jebo 828/Odyssea 4 for $44.95 plus $17.95 for shipping. I've used one of these filters on my 90 gal and was pleased with the performance. I think it moves about 300 gph or there abouts. I know its out -put was just as good as my Eheim 2217. The media baskets are a real plus on the Odyssea 4. I have a new 90 gal coming in next week and plan on using my Jebo/Odyssea filter with it. The filter comes with all the tubing, media etc. What ever your choice may be, I agree with Malkore, canister filters are the way to go for larger tanks. You may also want check out www.BigAlsOnline.com and www.DrsFosterSmith.com Good luck!

Guess I'll add my 2 cents (well closer to 1 and 1/2 cents) in.
I use a fluval 204 on a 20high. Worked will even though the box says it will handle larger, I don't think it will.
I use a rena filstar xp3 on a 75 gallon. Great water flow.

From my experience....................
Rena for waterflow (crucial for planted tanks)
Eheim for quietness and injecting Co2
Fluval for an in-between of the top 2

The price in that e-bay link seems high, especially for a filter from e-bay. For what it's worth, I use the Marineland HOT Magnun (which is the smaller version of what is in the link) and it is a very nice filter. THe thing is, I don't use it as the main filter on my 55 gallon (for that I have 2 Fluval 303's). I use the magnum as a water polisher, for that it works great.

I certainly wouldn't buy it from eBay...Big Al's is selling it for $10 cheaper online. Personally I love the Magnum 350 for a planted tank up to 75 gallons. The beauty of the Magnum 350 is it's versatility. You can use it to polish water, or coat the Micron Cartridge with diatom powder and use it as a diatom filter. It makes a fine everyday filter for a planted tank because the lack of media capacity isn't critical. The Magnum 350 makes a very efficient and easy to use CO2 reactor for a planted tank and saves the cost and space needed for an additional CO2 reactor. I have three Magnum 350's and have used them for many years. The XP3 is an excellent filter though not as versatile IMO for a planted tank. For a fish only tank I'd choose the XP3 every time.

Umm thanks I think. I'm even more confused now.
You can use it to polish water, or coat the Micron Cartridge with diatom powder and use it as a diatom filter.
What is a water polished and a diatom filter? can I not do this with any other canister filter?
The Magnum 350 makes a very efficient and easy to use CO2 reactor for a planted tank
Same can I not use any other canister to do this also?

The Magnum is constructed differently from almost all other canister filters. It uses a HEPA cartridge basicly (looks like a air filter for a car) and most everything else uses sponges and/or poly batting. Additionally, the Magnum has a bottom mounted motor assy. which makes it easy to use as a CO2 diffuser. Water polishing is removing cloudiness caused by excess DOC's in your water. Diatom filtration uses DE to trap free floating algae and diatoms. No other canister (that I know of) is as versatile as the Magnums but others are better at filtration. :wink: I have 2 of the Mag H.O.T.'s one is primary on a 29g planted and the other is a diatom filter used as necessary on my 55 and 90.

I am very happy with my XP3 for my 55 planted tank - excellent water flow and versatile in terms of 3 large media baskets that you can load (or not) with whatever you want.

I like my Eheims the best but I don't always have the cash for them. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom