Will this equipment be ok for a 4 foot tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking of upgrading my tank.
I currently have a cube 100 litre (27 gallon) tank, thinking of buying a larger 4 foot 195 litre (51 gallon) tank.
Wondering if my old equipment will do the job, so I don't have to buy new equipment.

Filter:
Aquaclear 70 HOB (lots of custom media) Maximum Output: 1135 L per hour (300 U.S. gal per hour)
Heater: Eheim 150 (box states its suitable for 300 litre tank, but im not sure)
Air pump: Ehiem 100

Will this equipment be ok?
Would be great if it were ok...I would save a lot of money.

I know a lot of people overdo things,(im one of those people lol) and probably suggest something like 16 super large canister filters for this tank, but I just want realistic answers. Cause im on a budget. (need to draw a line somewhere)

Thanks guys.

I understand the budget thing !!! I think you'll be fine with using what you have. Will the tank be going in the same location as your current setup ? Either way, I would use all the water (and everything else) from your existing tank and just top off the new one with more water. It would be like doing a (almost) 50% WC.

lol fish keeping is taking over my life!!

Thanks for the honest input.
Yes I am replacing the tank. So swapping everything over to the larger tank (including water) and putting it in the same location.

Was not sure if my equipment would be ok though, as the new tank is double the size. But I did over do it with equipment, with the smaller tank. So just might be passable to use. Borderline really.

It should work but I would suggest a bigger filter down the line. I like to push 10x the tank volume hourly on my fresh water tanks as it will help keep everything clean.

Yeah I agree on the 10x tank volume per hour. Which is what I did with smaller tank. (I actually did 11.3 x per hour)
Would it work at all if its about 5.2x volume per hour? Or will water not be clean and high with impurities?
Also, is heater and air pump ok

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I agree on the 10x tank volume per hour. Which is what I did with smaller tank. (I actually did 11.3 x per hour)
Would it work at all if its about 5.2x volume per hour? Or will water not be clean and high with impurities?
Also, is heater and air pump ok

Thanks

It'll work just fine but there will probably more issues with detritus settling.

The heater should be fine but you don't really need the air pump.

What exactly is detritus?
Thanks.

Ok. I think that stuff will build up too. Tank will probably need a canister, like eheim 2073. I was trying to cut corners, getting too excited.

Thanks guys.

A canister won't hurt by any means. Or multiple HOB's is okay also. Or a combination of both too !!! I run all Fluval on mine. 406 for the 55/75g with no issues. But an excellent WC schedule will keep detritus to a very minimum.

I kinda prefer 1 filter with 1 power point lol
Multiple filters make tank look ugly in my opinion

+1 on upgrading the filter. I'd be worried about the AC70 not providing enough flow and dead spots forming in the tank. A power head or two could help with that too.

Back
Top Bottom