Will this stock work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
For a 40 gallon,
3 Platys male:female ratio
2 rams
6 yellow tail or neon tetras
6 zebra danios
4 Otos
1 BN pleco
5 loaches
I'll add sand and a ac110 and plants
Am I overstocked? Will all the algae eaters work if i give them algae wafers or can I substitute some out? Can I get more fish? Please answer!

What kind of loaches are you thinking of? I think it sounds ok depending on the loaches.

Assuming that the tank is cycled and the stock is added gradually, it will work. I'd probably skip the otos and increase some of the other numbers eventually. Sounds like an interesting tank.

Is the tank cycled and long established? If yes, chose either the Bolivian or German blue rams. If not, only Bolivians, trust me, it'll save you money in the long run, GBRs are quite finicky and Bolivians are much hardier

Khuli loaches are the ones I'll get. I'll add 1 or 2 fish at a time maybe 3 if I get rid of the Otos what other fish can I get? I kinda want some centerpiece fish

Btw this tank is in cycling stage so not established yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the bolivians, I love mine to death! I've never had any luck with GBRs, two died in less than a week, two didn't make it home or past the first night, the fifth was too aggressive towards my Bolivians and had to be reformed lol GBRs are BEAUTIFUL fish, just very sensitive to a new tank, or fluctuating water quality. Look into other dwarf cichlids, like dicrossus filamentosa or cleithacara maronii (checkerboard and keyhole, respectively)

Reactions: HN1
Alright what fish should I add first? I was thinking the Platys or danios (2or 3

I would say the plates, as the will have the highest bioload in your stocking list and it will set the mark for your BB, but I would wait for more opinions :)

HN1 said:
Start with the danios.

Ok but how much should I add and should I add them after the cycle? I've been cycling for like 9 hours now maybe more. Should I add all 6 or like 2-3??? And when can I start adding other fish like 1-2 each week? More on tetras?

Probably none...cycling takes several weeks unless you're using pre-seeded material like filter media

Freakgecko91 said:
Probably none...cycling takes several weeks unless you're using pre-seeded material like filter media

I'm using seachem prime. People said this works in a week.

Prime is a dechlorinaor, not an instant cycler. It's not gonna produce the necessary bacteria to cycle your tank, especially not in 9 hours lol

Freakgecko91 said:
Prime is a dechlorinaor, not an instant cycler. It's not gonna produce the necessary bacteria to cycle your tank, especially not in 9 hours lol

As in using it for a week.

Freakgecko91 said:

Forgot to add I'm using stability as well

It's still only a dechlorinator, it removes certain metals and " detoxifies" ammonia according to their website. That has nothing to do with producing the necessary bacteria. My tank took nearly 2 months to fully cycle...

No, seachem stability is a cycling product. It is actually one I have heard good reviews on for the most part. After adding it though, I would still do an ammonia test before adding fish to make sure the biolfilter is working properly.

Back
Top Bottom