will this work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbouchard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went in search of some more prime today, the bottle I had was gifted to me by a friend.

the local store diddnt have any ugh...so I got tetra aquasafe plus.

will this work similarly for me? im in the middle of doing fish in cycling so im nervous to mess things up

Dee

just follow the instructions and all will be fine... you may want to get an ammonia remover also if the water you are using has any in it.

ok Ill do that, I have enough prime left for maybe 3 more water changes, so that will give me time to get an ammonia remover

I'm not sure that tetra safe would have the same effect of detoxifying the ammonia as prime does. Should be fine but just make sure you follow the instructions as you'll need to use more of that than the prime.

The Tetra Aquasafe will dechlor your water but does not detox the ammonia like the prime does. Just follow the instructions and stay on top of your testing and pwc and you'll be just fine. I've been using it from the start in my 29g and have had no issues.

what product should I use for the ammonia, does tetra make something suitable....I would like to choose well when I go back to the pet store tomorrow...if i were closer to another store id just take this back and use prime, but i dont have that option till probably friday when im kid less for a few hours to run errands

it threw me off when I diddnt find prime, I assumed most places would carry it

I didn't use any product for eliminating ammonia, I'm not a huge fan of too many chemicals. I am anal about testing my water daily and doing pwc whenever the ammonia got anywhere .25.

well right now im testing morning and evening, and at the moment doing 2 waterchanges a day, maybe about 40% of the water, I have 2 buckets that ive been using that work out to about that anyway.

so ive been pretty on the game when it comes to changing water out.

ive been trying not to let the water go over 0.25 i get nervous if it goes over 0.50

well right now im testing morning and evening, and at the moment doing 2 waterchanges a day, maybe about 40% of the water, I have 2 buckets that ive been using that work out to about that anyway.

ive been trying not to let the water go over 0.25 i get nervous if it goes over 0.50

Resist the urge to go to the chemicals! I used Ammo-Lock on one of my tanks and had to go through a mini-cycle :banghead:

ok so just treat the water and do my water changes as per normal?

I dont want to completly stop ammonia, just make sure its safe for my fishy pals

Sounds to me like you're doing a great job taking care of the fish. Just keep it up and your tank will be fine. Eventually you'll see your ammonia drop to zero and you'll start to see nitrites. These are also toxic to fish so just keep doing what you're doing. After a while you'll start seeing nitrates and your nitirtes will drop to zero. This what you want. After the reading stay that way for a week a so it's safe to say your tank is cycled and you can cut your water changes down to about once a week. Just keep in mind that if add more fish you'll want to test daily for a little while in case you have a mini cycle.

glad to hear im on the right track.

I will say that when I started this I had no clue what I was in for.

however now I am beginning to really enjoy my tank, even if I dont love carrying water back and fourth from my sink.

must get one of those pythons i keep hearing about!

thanks for the advice guys

Dee

Back
Top Bottom