Will this work?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MINIMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so real quick here is the plan. I want to put 4 10g tanks on a stand and have them linked. This way I can run a single thermometer and single filter to run all 4 tanks. I do not want to drill the tanks, so that is out of the question.

The the picture the pink would be U-tubes to keep water levels the same and the green is the return line taking the water from the last tank in line back to the first.

If i have figured this right, the filtered water from Tank 1 will be pulled to #2, then #3, then #4 as the powerhead is constantly returning water from tank#4 to tank #1.

Before you ask, yes I will be using a filter and heater large enough to handle 40 gallons.

The tanks will just be holding plants for now, but I need to free up some outlets. This way i can run 2 lights instead of 4 and 1 filter instead of 4 and 1 heater instead of 4.

Attachments

• Captureq9215c.jpg
    Captureq9215c.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 77
You'll be better off buying a different (bigger) tank, and dividing it into 4 partitions. Maintaining siphon on that will be near impossible, especially if water level gets low at all.

Jesse

You'll be better off buying a different (bigger) tank, and dividing it into 4 partitions. Maintaining siphon on that will be near impossible, especially if water level gets low at all.

Jesse

Well i have an 55g too, the problem with the larger tank in the depth. I have been doing it that way and its become more of a pain than anything. Just looking for a way to line these things up and keep the use of equiptment to a minimum. Right now i have 10g laying all over the garage at ground level which is a pain, and I am not getting any younger, so my knees are starting to beg for a solution haha.

You could run sponge filters, driven by a single air pump, and push all the tanks together, utilizing a 48" light. You'll still need separate heaters though

Jesse

You could run sponge filters, driven by a single air pump, and push all the tanks together, utilizing a 48" light. You'll still need separate heaters though

Jesse

Yea but the sponge filters would deplete the pressurized co2 that will be going to the tanks.... yea i know this whole think makes my brain melt.

I had this same idea, was going to do it on a few small Betta tanks.

It wouldn't be impossible, but it wouldn't be easy... Ive done more thinking about it, and at this point ive kind of figured it would be more risk than reward.

I don't know about plants and CO2 and oxygen and so on, but what i would do is get a bigger tank, like a 40 gallon, and divide it into 4 or 6 areas, with the dividers beneath the waters surface and they would have holes in them, so them water and heating could be supplied through the 4 or 6 segments but you would only need 1 filter and 1 heater.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

If you're going to link them the best way is for a canister filter with the intake on one end and output on the other end with the tanks In-between. It'll do the same thing as the powerhead and you won't need a hob

Keep calm and drum on

Look at UaruJoey's channel on YouTube. He just done a video last week for diy bulkheads and plumbing. Would save you some money over buying ones marketed for aquariums

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I made it this far in 3 hours. Still have the same amount of stuff plugged in but atleast I can see my tanks. Pretty suprised I got done so quick. Only day this week the kids didn't have soccer, football, or some other school function so I was highly motivated haha. So what bit do I need to get at Lowe's for the drilling? I know how to do the bulkhead stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tanks are all jacked up, plants all disorganized and whatnot. I will be putting seperated sections in them soon so I will just leave it at that for the night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441249802383.jpg
    1441249802383.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 43
I don't think Lowes carries the bit you would need. I believe it is similar to the hole saw bit but either carbide or diamond instead of teeth. Either way it's likely not cheap.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom