Will this work as extra filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So when treating i should just use the bonded filter pad with no carbon?

Why are you trying to avoid the ceramic media? I've heard of people using pot scrubbers (not steel wool lol) but its not as good as the ceramic media from what I've read. Bio balls and pot scribbies are best for wet/dry setups whereas the ceramic media is best for closed/air tight filtration. Sponge/padding is really only best for mechanical, sure it harbors BB but the ceramic media holds more

Why are you trying to avoid the ceramic media? I've heard of people using pot scrubbers (not steel wool lol) but its not as good as the ceramic media from what I've read. Bio balls and pot scribbies are best for wet/dry setups whereas the ceramic media is best for closed/air tight filtration. Sponge/padding is really only best for mechanical, sure it harbors BB but the ceramic media holds more

At petco a small box is 15$...

Wow that's ridiculous lol I know they aren't cheap but that's crazy. I think your cheapest solution is pot scrubbies. You could prob get a bunch off eBay cheap.

I hate to jump in like this but I have a similar situation. I have a Tetra Whisper EX 45 hob. I dont want to buy the tetra replacement pads. The front slot is a plastic cartridge and the rear slot is the tetra pad. What setup would you suggest to avoid buying tetra pads?

I hate to jump in like this but I have a similar situation. I have a Tetra Whisper EX 45 hob. I dont want to buy the tetra replacement pads. The front slot is a plastic cartridge and the rear slot is the tetra pad. What setup would you suggest to avoid buying tetra pads?

No worries, stock it like an aquaclear as shenanagins said

No worries, stock it like an aquaclear as shenanagins said

From looking at the pics it seems like a different setup. I assume remove the pad from the rear filter compartment. Water comes up from the bottom of the rear compartment through the pad and then through the plastic cartridge which catches big stuff. What would I put in the rear compartment first? Ceramic rings in some sort of bag? Then a sponge, then the polyfill? Are all three necessary?

Thanks for the help.

Trying to save my money and keep it in my pocket rather than in Tetras pocket.

From looking at the pics it seems like a different setup. I assume remove the pad from the rear filter compartment. Water comes up from the bottom of the rear compartment through the pad and then through the plastic cartridge which catches big stuff. What would I put in the rear compartment first? Ceramic rings in some sort of bag? Then a sponge, then the polyfill? Are all three necessary?

Thanks for the help.

Trying to save my money and keep it in my pocket rather than in Tetras pocket.

How about polyfill, then ceramic media, then a bonded pad to trap any particles that made it past the polyfill. Polyfill will act as begining filtration, ceramic media is biological, and the bonded filter pad is he last stage of sediment filtration. You can get polyfill at walmart in giant bags labled as pillow stuffing just make it has no preservatives or chemicals. Bonded filter pads you can get at petco in a giant package for 7$.

Probably not, you could try amazon or eBay? I've always found it was the most expensive of the necessary media.

I use a Fluval sponge as my medium, with pillow stuffing as my fore/last in my HOB's
and it works great in my 10, 20, and 29. Kept my canister when I upgraded my 55 to my 100, and that's got layers of good stuff :) (no carbon!!)

Back
Top Bottom