Will used filter instantly cycle new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amit.rajaram

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I currently have a 36g bowfront and use 2 filters on it - a Marineland Penguin 200B and an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. The tank and both filters are about 4 months old and the tank has been fully cycled for a few months with all fish healthy.

I am planning on starting a new 20g long tank, and wanted to move the Aqueon Quietflow 20 to this new tank and replace it with a new backup filter for the existing 36g bowfront. So two questions -

1. Will using the Aqueon from the existing tank, instantly cycle the new 20g, and it will be ready for new fish from the get go?

2. Will doing so impact the cycle in the existing 36g (it will continue to have the Penguin 200 in addition to the new secondary/backup filter)?

Thanks,
Amit

To answer both questions.... It's ok to use an already cycled filter in another tank, just think, no cycling period!
On your 36, should be ok as well unless you have an overcrowded tank or you overfeed or both. That's the method I and many others use to start another tank.

Remember, the cycling happens in the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Referring to the second part of your question, just run the back up filter on the running tank for a little to build up the bacteria. Then transfer the other filter, it will prevent you from going into a mini cycle.

Any such thing as overfiltering?

Thanks addisson, thats a great idea. At some point though I will have 3 filters running on the 36g. Will this cause any kind of issue? I wouldn't have thought so, but you never know.

Also, its not going to be a backup filter anymore, as I just got a deal I cannot resist on a Hydor 250 canister (rated for 40-75g tanks). So for a period (a week maybe?) of time I will have this, the AQ20 and the Penguin 250 Biowheel all running on the 36g. Anything to be aware of? Once this happens, I will probably move the Penguin 250 to the new 20g tank, and probably leave the AQ20 where it is, or use it for my qt to avoid daily water changes there (though the AQ20 may be overkill for a 3g kritter keeper, which is what my qt/receiving tank is).

If you run two filters on one tank and remove one then it is likely that the single filter will struggle initially to build up a higher density of bacteria. A mini cycle is not inevitable if you are aware of the possibility, increase testing and water changes until the bacteria has adjusted.
Using a cycled filter in your new tank is a great idea but stock appropriately until it too has increased bacteria density.
I run 2 canister filters on my main tank and experienced a very short mini cycle when I cleaned one of the filters a little too enthusiastically. I now do a 25% WC the day after a filter clean and have no problems.
Good luck with the new tank.

You shouldn't have issues with have three filters. More filtration won't harm. I would just be sure to keep the filters running together for while to get the BB up. After that you should be fine with moving the other filter.

Add some filter media from one of the older filters to the new one and you're done.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The other thing is also bringing over decorations and a panty hose filled with gravel if it is gravel) from the old tank temporarily in the new one will boost things.

Once you have 3 running you might want to consider if possible turning down the flow on 1 or 2 of them (not the main one) if you have smaller fish as it might make a bunch of current. Having a new filter added onto an older tank for a few weeks is a great way to start another tank with minimal waiting

Back
Top Bottom