Windy City..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hows it going guys and girls, i have a question for anybody in the chicago area.. i am having trouble finding a good LFS, everybody in town seems to have the same boring basic FW fish.. is there any shops you guys go to in particular? i dont care about driving or too much about prices, if you guys can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.. thanks

If you havent done so already, you may want to sign up in the Illinois forum. There may even be threads on this topic in there.

Try Terry's Aquarium in NW Indiana right north of 80/94 on calumet avenue. Small place but they have some stuff you normally don't see.
Scotts petshop in Westchester is probably the most famous though...alot of the fish are bigger, more expensive ones however.

What part of the Chicago area. Down where 80 hits 57 there is a pretty nice place I like to go to called Capital Pets.

I go to Wet Pets and Friends, nice and friendly, they helped me get going a few times.

Wet Pets and Friends Inc.
849 E. Nerge Rd.
Roselle, IL 60193
(630) 539-2100

Or Rainbow pets sometimes

RAINBOW PETS
1417 W SCHAUMBURG ROAD, HOFFMAN ESTATES, IL 60194
Phone: (847) 301-9600

thanks alot guys, im gonna start driving aruond this week end, just bought a 75 gal with everything needed and stand/hood for 200..

Ah, I was trying to remember the name of "the living sea". I think they are the ones with a shark pool? I liked it. There was antoher store in Lincoln Park, on Wells street?, that I thought was prettty cool, but that was years ago. Otherwise Scott's in Westchester, buy I never go there on a weekend, its chaos!

edit: Tropiquatics in Lombard is "OK", nothing great, but better than most of the other small shops in the area.

its funny, i live all the way over here in Syracuse but i go and visit my great uncle and aunt in Lake Station, Indiana area and i've actually been to that Capital Pets*i beleive that was the one* we go and hang around Chicago all the time and i like to visit the stores *cough pet stores cough*...lol

Wet Pets does not seem too far from my home. I might check it out. Their website says they are moving and not yet open. I presume someone forgot to reset the home page after the move 5 years ago?

i was there yesterday, and yah like you said they are kind of on the expensive side.. i saw lots of dead fish though.. there was this poor angel fish about 3-4 inches long with lots of growth? on its lips, the guy fed them and it wanted to eat but was having trouble.. what do they do with all those sting rays when they get too big?

On the North Side, here are a few suggestions:

Chicago Aquarium & Pond on Clark & Winnemac

http://www.theefishbowl.com/ in Evanston

Living Seas has a great selection of FW and SW but it's not in the city, it's in Park Ridge.

Chicago Aquarium uses copper in all their tanks. I would never shop there. It lowers fish's immune systems & makes them more sususeptible to ich & makes it harder to treat in the future.

Back
Top Bottom