WokeUp to 3 Dead Fish, Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO I heard back from him, and he said definitely did not get cleaned with chemicals and improperly washed out. Which is good news, but...wtf? So now I'm back to square one. I am going to try to do the fishless cycle. Could a temp change shock and kill them? The 40 gal is at 74F, and IDK what 10 gal was, but it was in the path of a large window and always warm. When I tested my water, it was the same as this am. I am concerned about the fact that there are no nitrites. And I am concerned after reading LibraryGirl's thread of her non cycling tank that I am going to end uo in a bad situation, too. :(

Also, in inspecting my plants, I have noticed some whitish slver patches upon the leaves. Could that be some disease that killed them all?

It would have to be a pretty big temp swing to do that...but I would recommend acclimating them in future situations just to be safe.

Just FYI...Librarygirl's situation is one of a kind as far as I've ever heard, and trust me...I've heard of a lot.

I am concerned about the fact that there are no nitrites. And I am concerned after reading LibraryGirl's thread of her non cycling tank that I am going to end uo in a bad situation, too. :(

Oh no....please don't let my experience deter you :( If you read other fishless cycling logs on here (and there are many) they've all been successful eventually and most in a much shorter time than mine.

Starting over with both tanks sounds like a good idea. What happened to the frog, though?

When I got home (I started this post at work) the frog was gone. My wife took care of that while I was gone. (I leave for work at 6:15) She forgot to tell me. So the tank was total destruction.

Sorry to hear your situation. That's a sad story when all ou were trying to do was improve conditions. Hope it all works out.

I just got home from work and the water that was crystal clear is now cloudy. WTH is going on?

That is a bacterial bloom, it signifies that bacteria is forming and you will be starting a cycle soon IME.

Yep, that's probably it. If you want to do a fishless cycle I would start now and make sure you are adding an ammonia source so those bacteria don't starve off :)

Back
Top Bottom