Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought some mopani wood for my 29gal and I'm soaking it. But about a 3 inch long by 2 inch wide section is sticking out of the water. Is this going to be enough left unsoaked to cloud my water if I soak the rest of my wood? Or am I good bc I don't really have a bigger bucket

There's no more room to turn it. And if I put the section that's sticking out in the water even more sticks out from the other side. But ill just run carbon in my filter and probly be good

I have a piece that was too long and did as rich said and flipped it every couple days or so after replacing the water for the 2+ weeks I soaked it and it worked great. I'd suggest using poly-fil to get the tannins out, works as good/better than carbon at 1/20 the cost (relative to what you use).

I would take your advice on that but I just bought a new filter and held off on putting the carbon in for just this reason. Thank you though

tarpon said:
I would take your advice on that but I just bought a new filter and held off on putting the carbon in for just this reason. Thank you though

Trouble is the tannins wil load up the carbon in no time and youl have to cough up another $5 in a week or 2. A bag of poly-fil will cost the same price and last a year.

Ohhh....I thought carbon was just to clear the water? Do I need to keep replacing it if I have DW in the water?

tarpon said:
Ohhh....I thought carbon was just to clear the water? Do I need to keep replacing it if I have DW in the water?

Carbon has a finite amount of adsorption before it loads up and can do nothing else (besides being replaced). Tannins as I understand it will load carbon up faster than many of the stuff it'll adsorb. Ploy-fil will load up fast too, but a handful in your filter for week will only cost you about $.02, not $5.

tarpon said:
So I always need carbon in my filter if I have DW??

I only ever use carbon when I need to remove meds, other wise it's an expensive scrubber and tannins or not, it'll continue to load up and need to be replaced every 2 weeks to 1 month from everything I've read/mfg recommendations.

That's $60 to $120 per year vs $5 (approx.) and I can do a fair amount with (up to) $115 savings a year on my tank, like buy a brand new Fluval 305 canister filter (which wil get poly-fil) lol.

Soo.....no? The DW wont continue to leach tannins forever that need to be carbon filtered? So they don't cloud my water?

tarpon said:
Soo.....no? The DW wont continue to leach tannins forever that need to be carbon filtered? So they don't cloud my water?

There's more to catch than tannins and my water is crystal clear since using poly-fil, tannins or not.

Ohhh haha...well just what is this poly-fill and where can I get it. Do I need a media bag? Does it do alll the same things as carbon?

tarpon said:
Ohhh haha...well just what is this poly-fill and where can I get it. Do I need a media bag? Does it do alll the same things as carbon?

It doesn't do the same thing as carbon, in that it won't remove meds or trace elements (which you need) and some other stuff. You can get poly-fil at most any craft or fabric store (I recommend the Fairfield brand only).

In your AC50, put the sponge in the bottom of the basket, a small handful of poly-fil on it and the biomedia (in the bag) on top. Works like a charm and there's a few members here that love what's its done for the water quality of their water/tanks.

I use it in HOB and canister filters and it does a great job. The best part is you can "see" when it needs to be replaced, with carbon you can't tell at all that's it's loaded up and needs a fresh pack.

Alright ill look for it at hobby lobby or somewhere. Just what is it exactly? Its not meant for aquariums?

ejaramillo01 said:
What is your opinion of the Purigen?

I haven't used it myself. I do know that it removes ammo, no2 and no3 really well, but a good bacteria colony should take care of the first 2 and the no3 I want in my tanks for plants to feed off. I could see using this when I get my SW setup going since I'll be using a canister and not a sump.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

tarpon said:
Alright ill look for it at hobby lobby or somewhere. Just what is it exactly? Its not meant for aquariums?

You might find poly-fil at your LFS, I did and it was 1/2 a bag for twice the price. I'm guessing, but it must cost a lot to print the word "Aquarium" on the packaging lol.

Back
Top Bottom