Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was on a hike this morning and found a really nice piece of wood. Can I use it in my aquarium? Also how should I cure it aside from boiling it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I was on a hike this morning and found a really nice piece of wood. Can I use it in my aquarium? Also how should I cure it aside from boiling it?

As long as it's not soft and / or rotting then go ahead and use it. Other than boiling there's not really any prep that needs to be done.

Thanks I will boil it and make sure it's all good

I think some types of elm and oak can leach toxic stuff. Most hard wood is ok, i have appple wood in mine. I recomend pulling bark off first as it will quickly break down and look crappy. Just make sure it was never sprayed by anything.

I believe it's a piece of red wood but I'm not sure here's a pic of it ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404527893.095189.jpg

I definitely would stay far away from Elm. The Elm Bark Beetle being the host has crippled many Elms in Europe and the US by spreading Dutch Elm Disease. I would also stay away from Ash wood as that is another that's been crippled by disease. Some states (CT for one) have a few laws in place that require no wood be taken from areas (a few square miles to county wide) to prevent the spread of these diseases.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Lucky me I'm in Canada so I don't know if we have ash and the forest I was in was an old redwood forest so I'm safe there. But very informative response thank you

We have ash beetle laws here, though hungry oscar might relish a log of fat juicy beetles...

Honestly, any of the insecticides that are used to Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) are neonicotinoids. They're basically designed to affect the CNS of the pest. Imidacloprid, Clothianidin, and Acephate are what's generally used and are a organophosphate foliar insecticide of moderate persistence with residual systemic activity of about 10-15 days.

What that means in regular terms is, that feeding any of those critters, (if they've been sprayed) to your precious tank babies, will ultimately result in their untimely death. hth.

Honestly, any of the insecticides that are used to Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) are neonicotinoids. They're basically designed to affect the CNS of the pest. Imidacloprid, Clothianidin, and Acephate are what's generally used and are a organophosphate foliar insecticide of moderate persistence with residual systemic activity of about 10-15 days.

What that means in regular terms is, that feeding any of those critters, (if they've been sprayed) to your precious tank babies, will ultimately result in their untimely death. hth.

Yeah, pretty much knew that. But if you think all ash trees are sprayed, you'd be way off. In fact, our area does not allow spraying for them. It should also be noted that a toxin targeted at a tiny reature does not always harm a much larger one.

Yeah, pretty much knew that. But if you think all ash trees are sprayed, you'd be way off. In fact, our area does not allow spraying for them. It should also be noted that a toxin targeted at a tiny reature does not always harm a much larger one.

If you keep thinking that way, you really have a lot to learn. And if you expect me to believe the hype your speaking, you really have a lot to learn.

Back
Top Bottom