Work Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Everyone,

I was recently chosen to set up a small bowl and house a fish in it to be the mascot for our department at work. I was wondering if there was another type of fish that could be kept in a bowl much like a betta. I have never been too much of a fan of bettas so I was wondering if there was another type of fish that would work well in this type of environment.

Thanks!

Even a betta requires a heated tank, no less than 5 gallons. Please don't put fish in a bowl.

I had a betta that lived in a fish bowl for four years in my room with no problems. The betta would be right below a light so the water would be heated a bit.

What you do with your betta is ultimately your decision - but you will find that most of the individuals on this forum are of the opinion that keeping ANY animal in an unfiltered aquatic environment is inhumane.

The fact that it is done so often is a matter of ignorance of the fish's true needs rather than it actually being acceptable treatment.

It would be like you living in your bathroom. You could probably pull it off, but it would be messy and extremely annoying.

They came from living in puddles and in rice fields from Thailand. I'm 100% positive the water conditions would be better and the water changes would be kept up with and would feed him blood worms. If anything I'm rescuing him from being in the cup he lives in at Petco.

Same reason I don't become a vegetarian. The animals are going to be killed either way. Rather make it of good use than let it just be thrown away because it wasn't sold.

I understand where you are coming from but I'm not taking him from the best housing on earth and into a bowl. I personally think I'm saving him and giving him better conditions that he had.

Id at least give him a 2.5 or 5 gallon with a filter or sponge filter.

If you absolutely have to keep him in a bowl get as big as possible. Maybe a big glass vase. And change the water religiously every week or twice a week.

They came from living in puddles and in rice fields from Thailand.

Unless you're vacationing in Thailand and catching your own, I'm fairly certain that the betta (or any other fish you choose to get) would be tank raised.

We're not trying to give you a hard time here, but rather our interest lies in the fish. There's a huge difference between keeping it alive and letting it thrive.

Jmifland said:
They came from living in puddles and in rice fields from Thailand. I'm 100% positive the water conditions would be better and the water changes would be kept up with and would feed him blood worms. If anything I'm rescuing him from being in the cup he lives in at Petco.

Same reason I don't become a vegetarian. The animals are going to be killed either way. Rather make it of good use than let it just be thrown away because it wasn't sold.

I understand where you are coming from but I'm not taking him from the best housing on earth and into a bowl. I personally think I'm saving him and giving him better conditions that he had.

A rice field is a **** of a lot bigger than a bowl. So is a big puddle. And those have natural biofilters where as your bowl doesn't and ammonia will build up stressing the fish and shortening lifespan. Just bc it appears okay to the eye doesn't mean it is

Yes. Tank raised and then sold to Petco to live the duration of it's live in a tiny plastic container. I have a friend that works there and I was told that a majority of then perish before they are sold and even some of the ones sold don't live long in the new home.

And no I don't think there is any other fish you could commonly find in a petshop that could survive in a bowl. Bettas are what is called an anabantoid which means it can go up to the surface and gulp air for oxygen. This is what lets them survive in a tiny bowl. Gouramis are anabantoids too I believe but I don't think they'd survive.

Small bowls really are inhumane. The betta wont even swim and be active like it should be.

Petco shouldn't sell bettas..

Well, we can't force you to do the right thing, we can only pray that you do.

I have to presume that all those Petco bettas that died in homes after purchase did so because Petco neglected to sell the consumers the proper housing and filtration for them. It's a double-edged sword. If people continue to purchase them when sold under those conditions, the stores will continue to sell them under those conditions.

Alright you got me. I'll just let the little guy sit in the cup and wither away with the one pellet it is fed until someone decides to take him off the shelf.

Oh geez, I think I'm done here.

:deadhorse:

It wouldn't have filtration which like you both said would be an issue but the bowl isn't small. It would probably be about 2.5 gallons so it would give a bit of swim room. It would have a light and some substrate but I figured I would give the guy a chance to live a bit better than the cup.

I do understand what you mean but I feel bad that they just sit there. :/

I feel bad for them, too, but that's not going to make me become part of the "supply and demand" that perpetuates the system these stores have. And the stores won't change if you purchase. And they won't change unless you make major complaints known about how they keep fish. They do it because they can. They do it because people feel sorry for the fish and buy them.

If were all talking about what's best for the fish and you can't get a five gallon then a bowl/vase would probably be better. Instead of sitting in a cup to die. I say go for a 5 gallon and filter but if u can't just stay on top of water changes in the bowl. Petco has way too many bettas and most of them probably wont get bought.

As far as you supporting their bad conditions I don't think one person will change a whole chain. That's just me.

I'll just stick with the saltwater tank I am cycling at home. Maybe I can be part of the change that will hopefully put Bettas back into an actual aquarium. Companies have invested a lot of money into Betta housing so I don't see it happening anytime soon but hopefully it does.

I do have a 5 gallon sitting at home but since it would be at work the filter be a bit noisy.

You could order a sponge filter. They're super cheap and you just plug an airpump into it

Like an air pump that is used to keep bait alive in a bait bucket? Do they have a low powered one that wouldn't create a loud hum sound?

Yeah like that except it plugs into an outlet. They have them at any Petco.

And you'll have to see what they have. Get one rated for a 5 gallon. It makes much less noise if put on carpet. They aren't that loud anyways tho

Back
Top Bottom