Worm identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is the story:

3 years ago I had a fish tank, I let it dry up (it's been bone dry for 3 years no dampness)

Long story short.
I have just restarted it, I planned on doing some hc, it died so I put the dead stuff in a bowl and I found some squigglers in there.

They are not free floating as of now. Don't see them in the gravel only in the dead plants.

The ways they may have gotten in the tank

A) from previous gravel
B) used filter I bought
C) came in with the plants

I'm leaning towards B or C

Anyways here is a video of them

I think it's either ditrus worms or nematode

https://youtu.be/YqSf7Jd3Mw4

Questions:

Can they be harmful to fish or humans?

I have no fish just plants what can I do?

They look like midge fly larvae or bloodworms (not the type go fishing with).
Fish enjoy eating them.
They could have arrived from all 3 sources listed but I'm leaning toward the latter 2.

They look like midge fly larvae or bloodworms (not the type go fishing with).
Fish enjoy eating them.
They could have arrived from all 3 sources listed but I'm leaning toward the latter 2.
Cool is there something I need to worry about with these larvae if they are in fact larvae?

Not big deal imo. Net them out or vac them up with wc
From what I read they won't come out from just wc they need to be thurrowly killed with mosquito dunks and basically removal of filter media

I wouldn't advise that. They are of no threat. I would remove them since you have no fish.

I wouldn't advise that. They are of no threat. I would remove them since you have no fish.
Well I can't exactly do the gravel vac cause I've planted loads of hc everywhere.

And I really don't want these things flying around my house

Up to you. Dont need to gravel vac. They should suck up easy enough. Most products for midge/mosquitos are organophosphates or pythreoids or a combo of both. Some will have an IGR as well. Not things I want in my tank for a beneficial insect. It's your tank do what you think is best.

Up to you. Dont need to gravel vac. They should suck up easy enough. Most products for midge/mosquitos are organophosphates or pythreoids or a combo of both. Some will have an IGR as well. Not things I want in my tank for a beneficial insect. It's your tank do what you think is best.
From what I read on mosquito dunks it's just a bacteria that kills larvae when they eat it and not any chemicals

Not familiar with dunks. I know what they are but no knowledge.

Not familiar with dunks. I know what they are but no knowledge.
Update on these, waiting for my dunks.

I now see a few swimming around the top, they have changed to a silvery white color.

Does that confirm the midge larvae idea?

Back
Top Bottom