Worms????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was cleaning my daughters 3 gallon betta tank (which is also home to a blue mystery snail), and for the first time noticed WORMS. I'm fairly experienced at fish keeping and have 2 other much larger tanks, but I've never had worms living in the water! I do feed my fish frozen blood and tubifex worms, but I assume those are dead.

What is this? Will it hurt her fish? And what do I need to do?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401661276.403481.jpg

Looks like a blackworm, are there any live plants in the tank that they could have hitchhiked on? Unless you fed them to the fish at one time I don't know how else it could end up there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are two live plants, but I have had those for a few years in other tanks (none of which have these worms). Are black worms harmful?

Black worms arent clear. If it was a blackworm it wouldnt be a problem. I feed them to my fish all the time.

Thats pretty long for a blackworm too. I have no idea what that is.

Black worms arent clear. If it was a blackworm it wouldnt be a problem. I feed them to my fish all the time.

Thats pretty long for a blackworm too. I have no idea what that is.

From the shading it kinda looks like a blackworm, I've seen them range from really dark to translucent brown and larger blackworms can be a few inches long when stretched out and on the move.

It's at least some other type of detritus worm if it's not a blackworm, as to how it got there who knows, but it is unlikely anything more that a meal if the betta can get it.

They are probably 4 inches or 10 cm in length. I have not seen them moving through the water, only partially emerging from the gravel. In watching them I have noticed that if you cast a shadow on them or a snail touches them the quickly retract into the gravel. It's hard to get a decent pic because they seem translucent, additionally the glare on the glass doesn't help matters.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401667119.861753.jpg

If I knew they were safe for the fish to eat, I'd drop my banjo cat in there for a day or two, but my luck it's a parasite. So I'm definitely not going to do that.

I think it is some species of detritus worm or another, if it were a parasite it would not be in your substrate as gravel doesn’t make a good host to feed off of

Back
Top Bottom