Worms in my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squealor

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night, I did a complete cleaning of my filter (Marineland Emperor 400) and besides finding lots of baby snails (which I sort of expected), I also found a couple of small dark colored worms. They were tiny and looked flat and sort of pointed at each end (though hard to tell b/c they were so small). Any idea of what they are and if they are harmful to my tank? I got them out of the filter (changed all the media, too), but I'm afraid now that they might be throughout the tank or in the gravel.
Thanks!

seems like I read somewhere that those can come from overfeeding or not enough cleaning. I wouldn't worry about it though unless you start seeing a bunch of them

I agree. Likely planaria (or nematodes) in your tank. Follow Jchillin's advice and keep a cleaner tank, reduce feedings, and rinse your filter cartridge more often, and you will see them dissapear. Do not worry about then though, completely harmless.

Back
Top Bottom