Worms on glass!!!! Emergency!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I woke up this morning to find a ton like hundreds of worms slithering on the glass and rocks of my peacock aquarium. They are white with a tiny arrow pointed head that tapers into a long tail. Its a 36 gallon bow front with a 70 gallon aquaclear filter turned down 50 percent. Please help.

Fishkeeper88 said:
So I woke up this morning to find a ton like hundreds of worms slithering on the glass and rocks of my peacock aquarium. They are white with a tiny arrow pointed head that tapers into a long tail. Its a 36 gallon bow front with a 70 gallon aquaclear filter turned down 50 percent. Please help.

Looks like planaria to me. They are harmless and they are there because of overfeeding, so to control the population remove any uneaten food! :)

Here's a link to for ya
http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html

Instead of removing what they don't eat, just don't put in what they dont eat. I never feed my fish to the point that they leave left over food. Once every other day, a couple pellets per fish. Lots of gravel vacs will help get rid of the planaria... along with the fish, they eat them

mfdrookie516 said:
Instead of removing what they don't eat, just don't put in what they dont eat.

If your referring to drookies comment, he means, only put in the amount your fish need, as opposed to what you feel like feeding them(either because its fun to watch, your bored, or your feel your fish need more)
Fish don't need that much food. And by adding even just a tiny bit more, your giving fuel for the planaria to feed. On, thus letting them breed.

Is there something I could put in there to kill it. Cause I don't have a gravel vack and will it kill my neons

hippy guy said:
If your referring to drookies comment, he means, only put in the amount your fish need, as opposed to what you feel like feeding them(either because its fun to watch, your bored, or your feel your fish need more)
Fish don't need that much food. And by adding even just a tiny bit more, your giving fuel for the planaria to feed. On, thus letting them breed.

Well there are over a thousand of them in there already bit they are extremely tiny. Grain of sand size

o.jonathan.o said:
Is there something I could put in there to kill it. Cause I don't have a gravel vack and will it kill my neons

He said they do not feed on live fish.

And how can these organisms appear out of nowhere like that?

tarpon said:
He said they do not feed on live fish.

And how can these organisms appear out of nowhere like that?

I dono where they come from but I would like to know cause they r ugly and everywhere

Meh, don't feed the fish for oh, three days? I bet the fishes eat a good portion of them and the rest will starve and die. Then feed about 1/3 of what you were before.

fenbendazole works, but yeah, fish will eat them, just stop feeding them for a few days. These kind of critters usually exist in an established ecosystem, but they normally don't get out of control unless something is out of wack. Overfeeding is usually the cause.

+ 1 to jetajockey
Also get a gravel vac. That's most likley where there breeding, in the gravel.a gravel vac is the quickest and easiest way I know of to get gravel clean. Walmart has em for like 8 bucks sometimes. You can even get ones that connect to your sink

Needless to say, I quarintined my fish and inverts in a 20 tub with all tank water and I emptied the tank out. I have an hob filter with only Bio media in it and added fresh clean water to the tank after letting it sit dry for awhile. So basically it killed all the worms and now im letting the tank settle before I add my fish and inverts back. And whatever was left over of the worms will die off from starvation. I am also checking parameters before adding fish back in the tank. Hopefully this helped alot. I will keep everyone posted on the progress and outcome and thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom