worried about my cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
well i just found out that cory catfish ( i purchased a spotted cory yesterday along with a guppy) and i didnt know that corys like to be in groups at the time i bought it. ill be getting more soon but not till atleast a week 1/2.my cory is so but sooo active.he swims up and then down and then up again so many times.is he stressed or is this normal behavioir for a cory.the water was tested yesterday and it was fine .so i dont know if hes acting normal or not:confused:

Have you cycled the tank? And he could be stressed since he's alone in a new tank.

My corys still swim up and down. Check the params but dont get stressed about it. Thats not abnormal.

Don't worry about it! If he's stressed he would be hiding in a dark spot or something. He will be just fine for a week and a half. Good luck!

Mine was very active in the beginning as well. He still is one of my most entertaining fish, but not as ADHD as he was the first week. I'm sure yours will be fine!

Then he's fine just new tank syndrome.. give him a couple days and you'll see him begin to act more like "himself" especially once you start giving him some.friends to play with ;)

Your absolutely fine. So is the cory. Relax and enjoy (thats one of the hardest parts about us fish keepers, we are always worried about something else going wrong instead of viewing all the good stuff we did for our fish).

I read somewhere that they need to "gulp" air every now and then.

I've got only one small albino cory and he is the happiest fish I think I've ever had :D Likes to swim IN THE MIDDLE... lol

I got 4 Cory melini aka false bandit cory. They were very active for first 3 months, fun to watch, until I introduced couple of German Blue Rams. Rams terrorized every single fish in my tank. I got rid of them (traded for much more peaceful couple of australe killifish) after a week, but since then corys are hiding in a cave except for feeding time. They were super entertaining doing theirs synchronized swimming.

My panda corys swim around like crazy up and down alot after i changed from gravel to sand. they really came alive and seemed much more happy so i would guess the swimming is a happy thing so long as nitrites/ammonia are 0 and nitrates are under 40 should be good.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Cory cats are usually found in schools. But that doesn't mean they have to be kept in schools to live long and happy lives. Your fish will be just fine by itself if that's how you choose to keep it.

I have cory cats in a 36 gallon along with Tetras and Platy's and mine do the up and down thing too every once in a while, the tank is cycled, they are not new to the tank either.

Unlike most scavenger fish, the Corydoras catfish is not strictly a bottom dweller. The Corydoras is part of the Anabantoidei suborder. This means that although they do have gills, they require both atmospheric and dissolved oxygen in order to survive. Anabantoids or labyrinth fishes have a lung-like organ that allows them to consume airborne oxygen. The Corydoras catfish will frequently rise to the surface of the water to gulp in needed air.

Back
Top Bottom