Worried about my goldfishes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had 8 goldfishes in my tank, medium in size. I transfer from another tank 2 clown loaches and 2 angel fish into the goldfish tank, will it hurt my goldfishes? Cas I need that tank for something else, so I had no choice and to bring them together. But there is sufficient swimming room for them, I also placed a cave ( an ornament ) for the loaches, just to hope they stay in there and not create trouble.

Goldfish are coldwater fish
the clowns and angels are tropicals.
SOME body is gonna get sick!

And medium size..like a 10 gallon? 20 gallon. how big is the footprint? :?
You have been around here long enough to know goldfish are space hogs AND you can't mix tropical and nontropical. And you bought new fish to cause this really unwise move instead of geting them a tank of their own first? And clowns are picky about having really clean water. It is not good for them at all to be with goldies. They are simply not compatible regardless of tank size and if your angels feel crowded and miserable they may decide to show their true cichlid colors.

Aahhhhmmm! Im gonna te-llll!

As for trouble? my delinquent clown loaches pester my knife fish even in the new 40 gallon. Funny to watch..nothing will keep your clowns out trouble if they want it.... :roll:

Regarding what you said about cold water and warm water fishes, all fishes in my country lives in the same temp, 26 to 28 DegreeC. Even if last time my clown and angels also lives in this temp, they had been living in this temp for years, as for goldfishes, they too live in this temp for years. There is no seasons here, so all year round the temp is the same, and they are healthy too.

Keep in mind goldfish and angelfish need around 10 gallons EACH as adults, the clowns will top out around 12 inches when full grown. Hopefully your tank is at least 100 gallons, as that would be the minimum size for all those fish.

Also, not good to mix goldfish with the others because of nutrition needs. The angels and loaches are carnivores, the goldfish mostly vegetarians. Thing is, you can't stop the goldfish from eating the food meant for the other guys, and that can cause digestive issues and swim bladder problems.

My goldie has swim bladder (I bought him cuz he had swim bladder) and he is doing really well and if by any chance it does get swim bladder, Ive read up on things you can feed them to correct it.

My goldies are mixed with tropical right now (i have been planning for months to separate them, and by the end of the month it should all be taken care of) but both goldfish and tropicals are doing okay. But I do agree, they need to be separated, if its a temporary -really temporary- thing I don't see too much harm (but anything can happen and the longer you keep them together the more prone they are to getting sick). Also you might want to keep your temperature at a happy middle for the time being- maybe a little more on the warm side because goldies are very hardy. I am, by no means, suggesting to keep those fish together for a long time, but for the TIME BEING it might be okay.

I hope everything works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom