Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
worst accident you've had

so whats the worst accident you've had with your tank?? mine was prolly the time I forgot to plug my filter back in after cleaning it, I didn't catch my mistake until I noticed the tank turning greenish brown, jsut really nasty, that was a week later LOL

Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #2

I knocked a light into one of mine a few years ago it electrocuted all of the poor guys.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did filter maintenance on one of my canister filters once without turning it off :S
Needless to say I got soaked and so did the carpet!
The Puffer Forum: http://www.thepufferforum.com | The Cichlid Forum: http://www.cichlid-forum.com | Cichlid Room Companion Forum: http://www.cichlidae.com | Planet Catfish: http://www.planetcatfish.com | PlecoFanatics: http://www.plecofanatics.com | Gobioid Research Institite: http://www.gobiidae.com | Fishbase.org: http://www.fishbase.org
-------------------------------------------------------
36 Gal: Malawi Cichlids | 36 Gal: Brackish Puffer | 58 Gal: FW Community | 20 Gal: FW RTBS Shark | 10 Gal: FW Breeder
Spares: 20 Gal: Former River Conditions | 8 Gal: Former Fry Tank | 32G: Former Community Tank
coldmachineUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Too many

well I have only owned an aquarium for a few months but....

When I first got a 2.5 gal bowfront, I had prepared very thoroughly to set the tank up so that it would be ok while I was away for a week. I bought an automatic feeder which I tested for a few days prior, had everything set up. Well when I got back from vacation I noticed that I had forgotten to put the battery back into the feeder so they had no food for a week, plus for some reason half the water was missing. Something must have gone wrong with the heater. I don't know, luckily there were no casualties, just very angry fish.

Also, I have a small tank set up to breed snails for my DP. I have airline tubing taping on the side which is always submerged in the 1 gallow of water that I have for them so that I can change the water every day. Well somehow it must have just spontaneously started a syphon in the middle of the night and i woke up to a huge puddle on my carpet.

This actually happened twice... Don't ask...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine is more one of total devastation and happened 20 or so years ago. I had one of those old fashioned 20g long tanks with the stainless steel frames. I had gone to work in the morning and got a phone call from a frantic wife telling me that I had to hurry home. I arrived to find water, fish, rocks, and everything else that used to be in the tank all over the floor. The odd thing was that there was a large knuckle bone that the dog loved to chew on inside the fish tank! It seems that the wife had accidently stepped on the bone and hurt her foot. In a moment of anger picked it up and whipped it out of her way....
I couldn't even be angry about it because she was freaked out and felt so bad.

That was the last tank I had until now.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, I've been relatively lucky so far but here's what I got:

When I first setup the tank I wanted to practice with my gravel vac to make sure I wouldn't do something stupid (like move the hose out of the bucket when looking at the gravel in the tank). I thought it through carefully and had the plan perfect in my mind. When I went to start, the FIRST pump of the bulb on the vac got the water started, but it also was at the perfect angle that the bulb itself came off the tubing. I was left holding a syphoning line that was now outside of the bucket, and in the 1/2 second it took to realize I dumped about 1/2 gallon or so water on the hardwood floor and carpet. That one really peeved me.

The other time I was using my diatom filter for the first time. Surprisingly it did it without fault. About 1/2 way through the run I accidentally lifted the intake out of the water for a second which sucked up a lot of air. It doesn't work so well when air is in the filter so, not thinking, I shut off the filter and turned it upside down as the directions say to prime the filter before use (it creates a vacuum that forces all the air out). Well guess what? When the filter isn't keeping suction, the powder that acts as the filter no longer stays on the mesh bag. I basically syphoned 2 cups of diatom powder right into the tank after it was basically done filtering. I spent the next HOUR blasting the powder off the leaves (it looked like Christmas in there). Not fun.

Where I think my big problems will come in the future:

-I do 5 gallon water changes with a bucket and have to walk back and forth between the bathroom and the office where the tanks are. I have yet to drop the bucket or bump it really bad (a cup or 2 here and there occasionally), but I know its bound to happen at some point. I honestly think the bucket itself might break which would REALLY tick me off since it wouldn't technically be my fault.

-My 8-month old daughter LOVES the fishtanks and can be very quick and powerful. I like to hold her in front of the tank and she gets all excited and bounces around. One time I was holding her around her hips and thinking she was far enough away, but she bent in 1/2 (with her head through her legs) and slapped the tank with both hands. The whole thing rocked back and forth and I was sure it was going to come down. This is my 20 gallon high tank that is on a metal stand btw, so its not as stable as a desk setup where the weight is supported along the entire base. I wish I would have gotten one like that!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine (so far) was using ammonia with surfactant in it .
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Only not paying attention to the gravel vac hose and gettin water all over the floor.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some years ago my friend gave me a water test kit. The kit looked a little old but the packets were all intact (those little pill ones) so I just used it as I started a new tank. Water quality pretty good (actually too good!) as I cycled the tank with a few fish, then when I bought a new test kit and wow the numbers were off the chart. It was a miracle that the fish were still alive!

Then a while ago I read a post here - buying a 20 or 30 gal used aquarium, setting it up on the second floor, and overnight it failed and made serious floor damage in her house, dad being crazy mad and all. I think that was one of the worst stories I've heard.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
using full full dosages of melafix and pimafix when i had scaless fish in the tank.

I lost about 35 dollars worth of panda cories and a dojo loach.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com