Worth the upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my angels are starting to outgrow the 29g, and I'm thinking it may be time to really start thinking either upgrade or rehome... I really wanted a 55 or 60g, but I just don't have room in my tiny house, but I saw a 56g column aquarium at petsmart today that I think might fit in the space currently occupied by my 29g.

The 29g is 30 x 12 x 18, the 56g is 30 x 18 x 24.

Is it worth the upgrade since the footprint isn't much bigger as opposed to a 55g long's footprint? It would be housing 3 angels, 6 Colombian tetras, 2 peppered corys at least. I'd like to add 3 or 4 more corys to round out their shoal and maybe, possibly add 1 or 2 GBRs.

Thoughts? :D

I would say drop the tetras if you get the column tank, they should have more room to swim. You could do the extra cories, and rams. Maybe even a rainbow or two, they go great with angels. But I would say buying the column tank is a commitment to having angels or discus, they are really the only fish that benefit from a column tank.

I almost got that column tank before, I think it'd be a good tank for angels with that extra height and width.

Shoot, I didn't think the tetras were the problem. The 29g is the same width as the column tank I'm looking into, so I suppose they are already in too small of a tank? :(

No! Sorry! I thought it was Congo tetras! Sorry. Colombians will be fine. Sorry. Should have re-read that the first time. 4 angels, 2 rams, 6 COLUMBIAN tetras, and 6 cories will be fine. Just watch out with the angels, as they mature they can have angry management problems.

Oh yay!! I was hating the thought of having to get rid of my tetras! I have always loved having at least one shoal of them in any tank :)

So that's great news! I will really look into upgrading to this tank so that I can keep all my angels. I hope this will work out. I have been reading that people have trouble finding HOB filters to fit on his tank.

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about canister filtration except that they are supposed to be high maintenance. I'll have to do some research. Can they be used in conjunction with a HOB though?

I will have to do a tank swap if I get the new one, so I won't be able to set it up and cycle it and all that. I've been reading on here were people have been able to just swap over their gravel and filter and part of the old water and transfer everything over okay without triggering a new cycle.

I guess long story short, I want to be able to stick my current bio-wheel filter on the tank, but it wouldn't be enough filtration for the bigger tank by itself.

Sorry for all these questions! :thanks:

You can use HOB's and canister filters together. I currently have 2 tanks like this.

You don't have to use the HOB on the new tank to help cycle it, all you need is to use some of the media from the filter in your new one. This will aid in cycling your new tank much faster. You will still most likely have a cycle, just a small one if enough media from the old filter is used.

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'll iron out final plans for swapping tanks once I actually work out the details for getting the tank in the first place, lol.

I'm trying to figure out if anything bigger will squeeze into the space I have. I wouldn't want to get this 56g and turn around and buy something bigger and better again! Though I think this will be the biggest. I'm also trying to figure out if there is anywhere I can fit the 29g and keep it going with something else in it too.... I've caught the aquarium hobby bug big time...

Any suggestions on canister filters? Looks like Fluval is a brand people like. They look complicated, but they don't look like too much more maintenance than a HOB...just bigger pieces to clean out.

I've used Fluval cansiters since the 80's and still use them. I have 6 Fluval 406's in use right now on various tanks and honestly they are very easy to connect and disconnect, open and service. They IMO are very simple and the added benefit is more media room.

I think I may have found a 65g that will work in that space. Oh the possibilities!

Now if I could work out having that tank going and find a place for the 29g too...

Edit: Those experienced with them...are canister filters quiet enough for the bedroom? As quiet or quieter than a HOB?

Yes, very quite. And to make it even quiter, you can get a cardboard box that will fit the filter in it, and put pieces of foam in the box around the filter se it doesn't vibrant or anything.

Is this 65 gallon a 24" tall one? That's the one I found after searching and searching for a tank that would fit at the bottom of my stairs. It's perfect for angels.

Yeah, it's like 36 in wide, 18 deep and 25 high...or something like that. I think I will have to have it ordered if I decide to get it. It's on Petsmart's website as "in store only", but I went to two local Petsmarts and neither one had it in stock. I think my angels would be very happy if I can get it for them! I'm still trying to figure out if I have another place I can put the 29g and maybe do neons or even a small salt tank!

Back
Top Bottom