would a BN pleco kill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would my BN pleco kill another fish over territory? I notice they have little spikes on them by there mouths. I just introduced 6 panda corys yesterday and now the bottom is a bit crowded. When I looked into the tank just now one was dead..my parameters are perfect. And he didn't look underfed. No visual signs of illness. His eye was kinda white and cloudy though but I assume that's just from death. The only other tankmates are 3 julli cories and glass catfish. And amano shrimp. The tank is 30 gallons.

Did you quarantine the new fish before placing them in the main tank? Or did you purchase yesterday and add immediately to your main tank yesterday....

I made the mistake of putting my goldfish into the tank with my Pleco. I had to remove them the next day. The pleco aggressively attacked them, beating them to death in one instance.

I learned my lesson very fast. The pleco did not like to share with my goldfish. It could be because they were about 4 inches big. I don't know. I figured a 28 gallon would hold both.

I was wrong.

LyndaB said:
Did you quarantine the new fish before placing them in the main tank? Or did you purchase yesterday and add immediately to your main tank yesterday....

I dont have a qt tank. I drip acclimted and then put them in. They weren't with any other fish at the store

Did you take the time to observe them in the tank at the store for illness or behavior?

Also, what if they'd sold the rest of the fish from that particular tank 15 minutes before you came into the store? You never know.

LyndaB said:
Did you take the time to observe them in the tank at the store for illness or behavior?

Also, what if they'd sold the rest of the fish from that particular tank 15 minutes before you came into the store? You never know.

They all appeared fine visually. They didnr have anything on their bodies and there was about 12 in the tank and they were all swimming around in a group together.

And yeah I know. But if the other fish were sold soon earlier I don't think they would've cleaned their name off that soon. And also the other species of corys they had were by themselves. Their tanks were all in good condition and I didn't see any sick fish, and only 1 dead one

You may have just got one with bad blood. The unfortunate problem with the most popular aquarium fish is that they are often mass-produced, which leads to weak genetics, which leads to shorter lifespans, which leads to more mass production.

It's a vicious cycle.

I've had it happen with Black Neons and Zebra Danios. Some just seemed to be so weak that they couldn't handle that one last transition to your aquarium, no matter how well you acclimate them or how good they looked in the store.

You may have just got one with bad blood. The unfortunate problem with the most popular aquarium fish is that they are often mass-produced, which leads to weak genetics, which leads to shorter lifespans, which leads to more mass production.

It's a vicious cycle.

I've had it happen with Black Neons and Zebra Danios. Some just seemed to be so weak that they couldn't handle that one last transition to your aquarium, no matter how well you acclimate them or how good they looked in the store.
Well stated. Sometimes, you can do everything right and death still happens.

plecos can be pretty aggressive when it comes to food as can be seen here lol Pleco vs Pirahnas.........
‪Pleco attacking piranhas‬‏ - YouTube

also i had a largeish sailfin about 30cm and a 15ish cm peppermint bristlenose and the Peppermint was really agressive when it came to territory, even ripping its spines down the side of the larger sailfin and damaging the amour plate scales on the sailfin. So yeah some can be very aggressive ive found

Oh crap. I just replaced the little guy with another. I'm going to get a refund on the 3 jullis so hopefully they wont have quarrels over space after I make some more room. Man I really wanna keep both. I love them both and bn plecos get a rep for being pretty peaceful

Do you really think it was my pleco? I guess if it came down to it id get rid of the pleco to save the corys. My pleco is very well fed though. Her belly is rounded. And I haven't seen her be aggresive?

tarpon said:
Oh crap. I just replaced the little guy with another. I'm going to get a refund on the 3 jullis so hopefully they wont have quarrels over space after I make some more room. Man I really wanna keep both. I love them both and bn plecos get a rep for being pretty peaceful

IMO I think it's unlikely that you BN would kill. I have 3 in my tank & they can get a little grumpy with each other at feeding time, but it's more of a thrash of the tail than anything really aggressive. They are a very peaceful fish normally, so may be some other reason I would say.

His tail fin was gone. I don't think it was the pleco bc my 3 jullis were in a few days before the pandas and none of them ever died.
It might be a temperature issue. I haven't been using a heater bc I'm in texas and my thermometer reads in the high 70s. I'm beginning to not trust the thermometer so I'm gonna get a digital one today. Then again if it was my temperature my other fish would've died and no other fish have died but the pandas (and a glass cat but that's bc it never ate)

So I guess its narrowed down to the pleco, or I juat plain bought bad fish

I just fed shrimp pellets and the pleco always likes to snatch one. A cory ate off the other end of the same pellet as him and the pleco wasn't aggressive. The whole cory school was surrounding him too

tarpon said:
I just fed shrimp pellets and the pleco always likes to snatch one. A cory ate off the other end of the same pellet as him and the pleco wasn't aggressive. The whole cory school was surrounding him too

My BN is usually attached to one side of an algae wafer, with a couple of Clown Loaches attached to the other & he's very tolerant.

Back
Top Bottom